Warmer weather for a week?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't imagine what you folks are going to do who live where all this snow and ice is. I would imagine that in a lot of places the soil is actually frozen

My understanding is our frost-line is sitting at, or around 18 inches. When the spring thaw comes, it's gonna be a mess for quite some time. I'm guessing I won't be able to walk on my lawn till at least the end of April without having my shoes sucked right off my feet.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are covered in ice. It is beginning to melt, what a mess. I am ready for this to end. My iindoor plants are suffering also, we can not get th house warm enough, it has been so cold out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Well, it is now at 9:41 p.m. EST raining and 41 degrees. Rain was not in the forecast a couple of days ago but here it is. I will say that is is decreasing the height of the piles of shoveled snow. Blah....:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We have warmer weather this week, it is such a tease, but I will enjoy it while I can. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Well that warmer weather has finally presented itself. I've been racking back the fall leaves and began uncovering sprouts of crocuses, daffodils, lilies, and irises. I'm so excited! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:cry: Why is the northeast being punished? What did we do wrong?
I mean we are pretty nice people as a whole! Six nights of below freezing temps are on the way.:mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Will it never end? And how long will it be before the ground is warm enough and dry enough? Will you have to rethink your garden planting?
The total snowfall amounted to 4.5 inches, and we are now sitting at 30°F. To answer your question Chuck. Our saving grace in all of this is, we have had snow on the the ground for the better part of the entire winter. That alone will keep the ground from going into a deep freeze, and should allow us to come out of this close to scheduled planting times. It is my understanding that roadways and such, that were not protected by snow cover, the freeze line is just under two feet, where normally it would be no more 8-10 inches.

Reaction score
This warm week has come and gone, and it has been absolutely GLORIOUS, but alas next week winter returns to Kansas. We will start out with a warmish thunderstorm tomorrow, and by the end of the week we might get more snow.

So, today I got a lot of cold-hardy seeds in the ground, with the expectation that they will not germinate before it warms up again!:D (I do love to push the envelope when it comes time to plant. )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
It going to be warming up. The 5 day High/Low forecast starting today 3/23/2015 says 73/52, 77/52, 82,54, 93/56, 93/58 with no rain in sight. We need some March rain. :(

Ask a Question