Country
United States
home-design.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So hows the cleanup going over there @Chuck & @marlingardener ?
My daughter lives in LaPorte which is a little southeast of Houston very close to where it rained 52 inches. All of the water is gone but she says debris is still piled up everywhere. In western Harris county and western suburbs of Houston they are still in feet of water as the river is still discharging flood waters. Mostly though it is just cleaning up and going through federal paperwork.
Years ago I was a painting, drywall contractor and a hurricane/flood hit a small portion of Harris county and it was literally impossible to buy drywall, even with the manufacturers working 24/7, so I imagine repairs will be lenghty at best.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, gonna take some time. Took months after the floods on the levels here. It soaked into the masonry in the flooded houses, plus it was contaminated with sewage :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, you are one of the few people that realize a catastrophe like Harvey isn't a matter of days, but of months. Right now charities are requesting bottled water (utilities are down, and won't likely be functioning for weeks), and cleaning supplies. Those who can return to their homes are facing sludge and mud. They are being advised that during clean-up, they wear masks. Small towns like Tivoli are not on the map for help. They are dealing as best they can, but Houston isn't the only place that has been impacted. Coastal Texas may take several years to recover.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, all the grass died here as the water sat on it for months.

If folk can't get clean water or boil it then filtered thru a cloth into clear plastic bottles then leaving in sunlight for half an hour so the uv kills the bacteria is a useful thing to know.

Prefer boiling meself, but if you'm got nothing else...

Important to make sure contaminated water doesn't get into cuts too, i've had Weill's disease from rat wee and believe me, you'd prefer to have flu :eek:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If folk can't get clean water or boil it then filtered thru a cloth into clear plastic bottles then leaving in sunlight for half an hour so the uv kills the bacteria is a useful thing to know.

Prefer boiling meself, but if you'm got nothing else...

:) I'd rather boil it, too, but to remove bacteria or viruses, you can also use bleach. (As long as it doesn't have perfumes added.)

10 drops of household bleach (containing 5.25-8.25 percent chlorine) for every 2 quarts (or 2 liters) of water. Mix thoroughly and let stand a minimum of an hour before drinking.

(Saw a bit on the news today for what to pack in your "emergency kit." :whistle:.)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, you are one of the few people that realize a catastrophe like Harvey isn't a matter of days, but of months. Right now charities are requesting bottled water (utilities are down, and won't likely be functioning for weeks), and cleaning supplies. Those who can return to their homes are facing sludge and mud. They are being advised that during clean-up, they wear masks. Small towns like Tivoli are not on the map for help. They are dealing as best they can, but Houston isn't the only place that has been impacted. Coastal Texas may take several years to recover.

Very sad.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:) I'd rather boil it, too, but to remove bacteria or viruses, you can also use bleach. (As long as it doesn't have perfumes added.)

10 drops of household bleach (containing 5.25-8.25 percent chlorine) for every 2 quarts (or 2 liters) of water. Mix thoroughly and let stand a minimum of an hour before drinking.

(Saw a bit on the news today for what to pack in your "emergency kit." :whistle:.)

Can you drink bleach? Sounds shocking that you have to use bleach to purify water for drinking. I boil all my drinking water, talking of which, I need one now as I'm freezing. ..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you drink bleach?

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but !0 drops in 2 liters is safe to drink. (Chlorine is what they use in public swimming pools.)

Sounds shocking that you have to use bleach to purify water for drinking.

Think of all the the things left in that flood water from Harvey!! :eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but !0 drops in 2 liters is safe to drink. (Chlorine is what they use in public swimming pools.)

Think of all the the things left in that flood water from Harvey!! :eek:
Ohhhhhhhh! I know. The construction industry must find a way to circumvent future similar disasters.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
By the way, I really like you cute avatar. I must change mine to inject some freshness or fun, like yours!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you drink bleach? Sounds shocking that you have to use bleach to purify water for drinking. I boil all my drinking water, talking of which, I need one now as I'm freezing. ..

All tap water contains bleach, that's why you have to leave a bucket of it for 24 hours for it to evaporate before adding it to your fish tank.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
All tap water contains bleach, that's why you have to leave a bucket of it for 24 hours for it to evaporate before adding it to your fish tank.

Just show how ignorant I am. Darn! I should have kept fish and I would have been so ignorant! :eek::D;)

Show us your fish, @zigs

Ask a Question