Sickly strawberries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I planted loran strawberries in the garden, and right away they began to wilt. They never died, but never recovered; simply kept going while half dead. Eventually I pulled them up. I'm thinking loran is simply the wrong variety for my area? I tried tristan in the past, and even though the yield wasn't high the plants at least were healthy and the 'berries were too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's weird that you had such a different experience with the two different varieties - were all other conditions the same? ie water, temperature, soil etc?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd suspect root aphid if they'd been in a pot for any length of time before planting out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It's weird that you had such a different experience with the two different varieties - were all other conditions the same? ie water, temperature, soil etc?
No, in fact, different yards all together. Still, Loran isn't on UF IFAS list of recommended varieties, so I think I'm gonna stay away from them now on.
I'd suspect root aphid if they'd been in a pot for any length of time before planting out.
That's exactly what I did. In a tower at another house, then over to my yard and transplanted.

Ask a Question