Sickly Money Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had my money tree since April of 2015. It was thriving, getting taller with more and more leaves. I used miracle grow plant food spikes once, around June and it made it even bigger. I moved in January and it immediately started losing leaves. They would turn yellow and just fall off with the slightest touch. The tree is a shell of what it used to be. The leaves now bend downward as you can see in the photo below. Not sure why as it never did that s there any saving it? Other than moving houses the conditions the tree is in hasn't changed. Indirect, bright sunlight and watering it once a week. Please see the picture below. Thanks for any advice!!

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Yeah, you need a bigger pot with more soil to support its growth. You're right about keeping the money tree indoors with indirect exposure to sunlight. I lost my money tree last year because I foolishly took it out in full sunlight hoping it will grow faster. It should have stayed in a more shaded area with indirect or little sunlight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had the same problem with a money tree and a ficus and was told that these plants don't like any changes but that I should just leave them alone. Mine wasn't root bound but both looked awful and didn't have many leaves left but I left it alone and 3 weeks later the money tree started to perk up and there was new growth. It was ugly for about 6 weeks but it's fine now (2 years later). The ficus just lost all but about 20 leaves and struggled for a few months and combine all of that with winter coming. I usually take 3 weeks to acclimate my houseplants that have been outside all summer. I bring them inside a little more everyday for a few weeks and they all survive and thrive. Just hold back on watering in winter except the bare minimum. My Money Tree stays in full sun most of the day but it took almost a whole summer to get it used to it. I'm trying to upload a photo.

Ask a Question