Shredder?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In the past I have to.

As far as Mulching Blades I can't put them on. I've been trying to get my regular Blades sharpen all Summer but always an excuse.

big rockpile
I use those metal shaping flapper disks on a angle grinding. Easiest thing so far and if you can get to them you can leave them on the deck like sharpening a bush hog blade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's not just our slang that's different. I'll go and check if they have advanced since my last demo. The best one I've seen is called "piece-maker" and retails at $2K.
Good one! That would eat a whole tree. We used to have one that would do 4 inch branches, even up north west in Oregon. But we don't need that kind of thing now where we live in the eastern WA high desert country - just leaves and and prunings - and freakin' tumbleweeds!

Which brings up a point, ref. Rockpile's comment on burning. You can't open burn anything here - not even have a fire pit.... expect for tumbleweeds!! Gas fire pits or BBQ's only. The city will even loan you a trailer with a tumbleweed burner. Now, the really dumb thing is, in the other 3 Tri-Cities you can have fire pits and burn stuff - but no fireworks. However, here in our burn free city you can have any fireworks you like! It's like armagedon here on July4th!! Some of the aeiral mortars are huge. (BTW: Not a misprint, there a 4 cities in Tri-Cities, WA - just another of our little foibles...).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not able to lay down and get the blades off or on.

Did manage to Airyate the Lawn and Mow it.

I'm wanting to get away from burning and Compost the Leaves.

big rockpile

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use a big plastic garbage can and a string trimmer. Fill the can 1/2 way with leaves, start the trimmer, plunge into the leaves and let 'er rip. Shreds quite nicely...would like to bring this into the shop and create a fixed shredding station.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Years back I had a lot of compost piles and found a used troybilt chipper shredder which did a great job. Just need to make sure the leaves are dry, which is true for any shredder otherwise they will get clogged. I tried the electric sunjoe and etc. which is just a weed eater type system and if you are collecting a lot of leaves takes too long. It was mentioned earlier that you can use a mulching lawnmower which works well. Just not near as fast as a chipper/shredder and it won't be quite as fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Does it Shred them?

big rockpile

Yes there's a robust plastic fan with metal blades that does the job. There's also a detachable vacuum cleaner sort of attachment that goes on the nozzle end. It also has a variable speed control.

Mine is actually this one, which is 3kw.

It's easy to get at the blades if they become blocked.

Reaction score
Country
France
I sometimes wonder what are grand fathers did when half the modern tools we have today do so much,

One of the best tools i have bought was a mini tractor, "Nothing like the big tractors the farmers use but one that can Plough / Lift up the shredding machine/ A metal box/ a grass cutting device/ and has the connection for driving the shredding machine, these small mini Tractors are really worth thinking about if your a serious gardener and want to save a lot of time and make life a lot easier, They do not cost the earth, (I bought a used one)
I will be using the shredding machine as soon as i have pruned all the Various trees/shrubs and this again is both a form of compost/Humus and a mulch for putting at the base of the fruit trees, helps keep the weeds down and the tree roots moist, And the garden area clean & tidy.

Ask a Question