Shredder?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, the cheap ones are terrible. I went to look at one for sale and the seller gave me a demo. With safety goggles and thick gloves, he put in the dried-out stuff, and it threw jagged edge sticks at his face and this pitiful little pile of stuff ended on the ground in a scattered mess.
I'm not a fan. They don't process anything but bone-dry sticks and can't handle anything green.
Talk to an arborist - but be wary that the cost of the good ones is in the thousand dollars plus range.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That's what I do, run the ridding mower over the leaves, then suck it up in the two bags on the back.
Yesterday, I blew the leaves using the ridding mower to long lines and then used my tarp to rake and drag to the burn pile. After about 6 big drags I set the pile a fire. But that is only the front part of the property. And not all the leaves have fallen yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did the same yesterday. Raked some leaves from around shrubs and buildings then mowed them. Was working on a second pass to vacuum up the shredded mess but my back started acting up.

I had enough leaves to mow that they were piling up in front of the mower and had a couple instances of them catching fire from the exhaust.

4 cubic yards of packed shredded leaves so far and only halfway through the front yard. Still haven't touched the back.

DR equipment has a high capacity bagger/yard vacuum but it's pricey. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used leaf blower so I can build my own.

More power! Rurr rurr rurr.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mow with the box on, the mixture of dead leaves and grass cuttings seems to compost far better than either do on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sun Joe CJ603E seems to be pretty much universally regarded as the best price/performance/quality/etc. - plus you can get spare parts easily. Must be, because it's out of stock everywhere right now. Been trying to find one for while. Their CJ602E isn't too bad either, especially if you don't have too much other than leaves and it's about $135.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its raining so tomorrow I'll mow and pull the Airyator.

Got bunch of Bulbs to plant.

Then we will blow and use the Sweep.

big rockpile
Put mulching blades on the mower. The mulch will get in the aerated holes and you can really load a sweep up with the smaller bits before you run to take a dump with it.

I had a 8hp troy-bilt self propelled chipper shredder. Sold it to a neighbor in favor of a charcoal making pit. I compost leaves and burn the twigs and dead limbs that fall

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sun Joe CJ603E seems to be pretty much universally regarded as the best price/performance/quality/etc. - plus you can get spare parts easily. Must be, because it's out of stock everywhere right now. Been trying to find one for while. Their CJ602E isn't too bad either, especially if you don't have too much other than leaves and it's about $135.
It's not just our slang that's different. I'll go and check if they have advanced since my last demo. The best one I've seen is called "piece-maker" and retails at $2K.

Ask a Question