Should I Start Over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Heirloom tomatoes are not generally blight resistant. It would be best to grow something from seed that has been produced in recent years. There is still no such thing as a blight resistant tomato plant but some do have a certain amount of resistance to it and they are less likely to fail than Heirloom plants.

What was the name of the tomatoes you grew Ferice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That was a heirloom tomatoes plant that I purchase from the store, Home Depot.
Many of the older heirloom varieties of tomatoes have no resistance to diseases which is why horticulturists hybridize them. There are some heirlooms that just will not grow for me, whether it be from my soil or my climate. One of them being Brandywine. Perhaps that is why your tomato went downhill so fast. Some heirlooms are more susceptible to blight which is why we wanted to know which variety or name of your heirloom tomato was to see if perhaps it is a variety we have grown and had the same thing happen to us

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I pulled it out and burned it yesterday. I have that one plant that still looks healthy, and I dont want it to be contaminated.
Remember, blight is a fungus and horticultural cornmeal helps fight harmful fungus. I have found cornmeal tea when applied before symptoms appear helps minimize the effect of blight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I went to a nutrition smart store yesterday and found some stone ground corn meal. I will add some of that to my soil. I noticed that it attracts ants. I used it in my soil about a week ago, and there were ants everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went to a nutrition smart store yesterday and found some stone ground corn meal. I will add some of that to my soil. I noticed that it attracts ants. I used it in my soil about a week ago, and there were ants everywhere.
Put a handful in a sock and soak it in water for a day, strain it and then spray it on your plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My new plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I transplanted them last weekend. I think I'll keep them in the containers for now.
When growing tomatoes the individual plants should be at minimum 1 1/2 feet apart and preferably at least 3 feet apart depending on the variety. Peppers 1 1/2' apart. The reason for this is to allow air circulation which minimizes fungus growth and allows more sunlight to increase photosynthesis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
For guidance Ferice this is how I grow my tomatoes in a greenhouse. Each plant is in a separate bucket. If I grew them outside I would give them a little more space to let air circulate which helps keep fungal issues like blight at bay as Chuck has explained.

You can see my plants have leaf curl, that happens when they overheat but it doesn't damage the plants or fruit.

018.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For guidance Ferice this is how I grow my tomatoes in a greenhouse. Each plant is in a separate bucket. If I grew them outside I would give them a little more space to let air circulate which helps keep fungal issues like blight at bay as Chuck has explained.

You can see my plants have leaf curl, that happens when they overheat but it doesn't damage the plants or fruit.

View attachment 9192
What is the variety of your tomatoes? I have never grown any with a growth pattern like those have and also how big do they get. We have cherry tomatoes that grow in clusters of 6-10 and we have grape tomatoes but so far I haven't seen any over here that grow like those do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They are Sungold Chuck. I couldn't get my usual seeds this year so these were recommended, they are between a cherry and salad tomato in size, orange when ripe and sweet. I wasn't too keen on the flavour though which I found a little acidic, but that's personal choice of course.They produced a very good crop. I will try and get my favourite tomato seeds Golden Pearl for next year, not to be confused with Garden Pearl of course. :)

Ask a Question