Should I Start Over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't have a chance to check in my tomatoes yesterday. This morning I looked and one of my plants was looking pretty bad this morning. The leaves are curly and droopy. I don't know if the plant will survive.

View attachment 9964 View attachment 9965
Any unusual weather in the past few days? That looks like too much water or poor drainage. Do you have any other plants of the same variety that are showing the same symptoms? Or is this the only plant of this variety and the only plant showing this. On the stem of the severely wilted leaves is there any sign of a caterpillar eating on it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
So far it's the only plant. The container is off the ground, and there are 3 holes at the bottom of the container to drain the water. We've gotten quite a bit of rain last wee but not over the last few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Last week, I added a handful of earthworm casting and fish fertilizer to each plant. I wanted to water them with some Epsom salt water since it's being raining so much I did not do it. I am keeping a close eye on it. This afternoon, the upper leaves look fine, but the lower one were still droopy and folded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think it is a major issue but only time will tell. The plant probably just stayed waterlogged too long and some of the roots were damaged. It will more than likely grow out of it although you might loose the limbs where there is that severe wilting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpeg
I think the issue may be lack of water instead of too much water. The plant was looking ok in the morning but very bad in the evening. I watered it last night. This morning I checked, and it looked pretty vibrant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I managed to damage some of my tomato plants, but I moved most of them under my patio. They are expected to get less than half the amount of sun they usually get, but they won't be in the rain. We are expected thunderstorms all the way through Wednesday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We've gotten quite a bit of rain over the past two weeks. I noticed my tomatoes are splitting at the top. BTW, they are Cherokee purple and brandywine.

View attachment 9947 View attachment 9948
This cracking is why they use polytunnels in places like Spain and Greece where there is a lot of sunshine.
The covers aren't clear, they're opaque and white, and the tunnels perform two functions:
1) Slow loss of moisture.
2) Reflect much sunlight and some heat.

330950,xcitefun-greenhouses-spain-5.jpg

Ask a Question