Reviving Tomato Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think I'm going to give this a try the next time my tomato plants are looking a little rough; I've noticed it works on my short-lived four o"clock plants, so worth a try...

Interesting video showing what happened when this guy cut down his rough-looking tomato plants:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sometimes I do the same thing when I want to try for a fall garden but usually I am sick of fresh tomatoes and plant something else instead. And the weather here is so unpredictable that an early frost happens just about every time I try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
i dunno, this guys is showing cherries and that is like a briar vine. A fatboi or big fruit mater wont be so fast to come back, even though it will come back.

It would be better to compare the same plants on an overhead trellis vs the genital mutalation shown in this video. Just to see which ones procreate more.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I still haven't totally chucked my tomato plants. @Leeski showed me that I could use the side shoots as new plants and it worked a treat. Shame our weather is so cold now, but then some are still growing inside my tomato greenhouses, so I keep them as they tasted so sweet in my spaghetti. If the fruits are sweet, why not?

Genital mutalation? @DirtMechanic - you're such a joking shocker! Dirt definitely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I want to grow the older variety of tomatoes which can be slightly sour. Am exploring some options.
From your other post about compost and recycling kitchen waste into garden beds as you move through changing out or restarting a veggie bed, I get the impression you are blessed with not having to fight fungal or other soil pathogens. I am jealous of course, but it would allow heirlooms to continue to be grown. We grow celebrity mostly. It has a pleasant habit and produces over a long period of time so one does not get the red wave of tomatoes all at once.

Ask a Question