black tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello everyone!
My uncle grows tomatoes since 5 years, but now he wants to try something new. He always grows cherry tomatoes and different kinds of red ones (I don't remember their names now). When we were surfing the Internet we came across black tomatoes, but we really do not know much about them.
https://gardenseedsmarket.com/tomato-black-cherry-seeds-lycopersicon-esculentum.html - this one is cherry
https://gardenseedsmarket.com/tall-field-tomato-noire-de-crime.html - this is a large one
I wanted to ask you what is the difference between those tomatoes? Are they hard to grow? I can see that the second one is red inside and look really interesting. If you have any experience with them please let me know! My uncle doesn't know which one to buy - or maybe both are worth?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grew black cherry tomatoes along with the standard red ones this year. They grow the same and ripen the same, but the black ones have a meatier texture and a milder flavor. If you like the tartness of a red tomato, the black ones may be a disappointment. The black ones made a better sauce as they have less water content (at least mine did), but they didn't have the flavor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
15 August 2017 Indigo Ruby Tomato Beginning to ripen
http://durgan.org/2017/August 2017/15 August 2017 Indigo Ruby Tomato/HTML/ 15 August 2017 Indigo Ruby Tomato
Ripe when the bottom of the fruit turns red. This is away from the Sun direction. The plant is prolific, and the fruit is perfect with no blemishes. The taste of the fruit is pleasant. Size is about golf ball dimensions. A bowl would be attractive at a dinner setting.
indigo%20ruby%20006_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Black Krim is grown every year and is my favorite tomato. There are not very many dark tomatoes. Some are the same tomato with different names.. There are a few cherry types that are dark just go by the name.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello! If you like dark tomatoes, you should try looking up Baker Creek Heirloom seed website! They have many dark tomato varieties to choose from including the darkest tomato ever- Black Beauty! I like dark tomatoes as well! So interesting! Black Cherry is good, but take care to eat them quick. They do not store long.

Ask a Question