Black Beans - 1st and last time I grow them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I spent 2 1/2 hours shelling black beans today and got less than a 22oz cup worth. These better be good. This was the first time I ever grew them. I treated them like soybeans, and let them die and harden before picking.

beans.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are very nice in soup, but it does take a long time cooking. What are you going to do with them please? I like the yellow version and would seek them out to put in a stew!

2 and a half hours. I know the frustration. You can't let them ripe naturally?

I have the same headache with my altroemeria seeds and have to crack them open sometimes. It hurts my fingers. Sometimes, they would explode and would hurt my feet when I walk around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And now you know first hand why so many people moved away from hands-on agriculture. What’s worse is it demands dirt cheap labor in order to be economically functional.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
And now you know first hand why so many people moved away from hands-on agriculture. What’s worse is it demands dirt cheap labor in order to be economically functional.

Too true - bitter truth!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The huge advantage to the home gardener in growing beans...beans of all kinds pintos, bingos, limas, black, etc.etc. ... is that they can be harvested when the beans are at the height of their taste. If you wait until they are dried and hardened you completely loose that huge advantage and they are no better than commercially grown ones.

For beans like you have never tasted before, harvest them mature but before they dry out on the vines and mix in some green ones in the harvest. Of course, these beans will require preservation, unlike dried beans. We like to freeze ours and preserve that magnificent taste until they are prepared.

If you are missing out on that taste, you really are short changing yourself. They are worth every ounce of effort, every expenditure of energy IF you harvest them at the right time and experience one of the great tastes available to the home gardener. The flavor of home grown beans is truly amazing.

p.s. see the thread https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/bingo-beans.16714/

Ask a Question