Rats in box planters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

We have a recurring problem with rats. They get into my neighbours compost (which in fairness they have been trying to address) then under their fence into my garden.

We've had city pest control out and they left poison but despite being taken the problem persists

I believe the main issue is access/a rat run Vs nesting as I can see the holes dig down the planters and then under the fence behind. The land behind is part of a farm to which we have no access so I can't try to address this from behind the fence.

I was thinking to try metal mesh on top but it's sharp and hard to work with and very tricky to get around the plants. Are there any alternative materials that are easier to work with but also strong enough? However putting mesh at the top means if the soil levels drop a bit that it's hard to top up

Digging out the planters and fixing the mesh to the bottom would be a massive job and could damage our plants and while it may solve the tunneling/rat run they may still nest from the top

Peppermint didn't help at all.

It's such a pain. I check most days and there are fresh holes. We have a little one so want to do what I can to resolve. We have no pets.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a similar problem here. They say you are never far away from a rat these days (neither the furry sort or human sort) The first thing to do is make sure you don't leave food near the house for birds overnight. Poisoning does not always work as many rats seem to have become resistant to it, and not only that it is dodgy for neighbours cats etc.
My opinion is that traps are the best option - the sort that kills the rats, not the ''humane'' sort. The numbers need to be checked, as rats have babies every six weeks - from a very early age. Why pass the problem on to someone else!
Traps need to be fixed down, and placed somewhere that children and other passing animals cannot reach.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks

We have a recurring problem with rats. They get into my neighbours compost (which in fairness they have been trying to address) then under their fence into my garden.

We've had city pest control out and they left poison but despite being taken the problem persists

I believe the main issue is access/a rat run Vs nesting as I can see the holes dig down the planters and then under the fence behind. The land behind is part of a farm to which we have no access so I can't try to address this from behind the fence.

I was thinking to try metal mesh on top but it's sharp and hard to work with and very tricky to get around the plants. Are there any alternative materials that are easier to work with but also strong enough? However putting mesh at the top means if the soil levels drop a bit that it's hard to top up

Digging out the planters and fixing the mesh to the bottom would be a massive job and could damage our plants and while it may solve the tunneling/rat run they may still nest from the top

Peppermint didn't help at all.

It's such a pain. I check most days and there are fresh holes. We have a little one so want to do what I can to resolve. We have no pets.

Thank you!
You allowed pest control to poison your garden? You do know that, once the rats ingest the poison, there's an extremely good chance that scavengers and birds of prey will be poisoned by eating any animals which have ingested that poison? Such deaths are known as "secondary kills." I sure hope you get that horrible stuff off your land, so that it stops endangering other animals.
If the rat problem is so severe, you may consider erecting some type of housing/perches for birds of prey. Once you've got rid of the poison, that is.
You can't beat natural prey control. A Barn owl would help greatly with your rat problem. Please do the research, rid your property of poisons and work to encourage owls and hawks to visit your property.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You allowed pest control to poison your garden? You do know that, once the rats ingest the poison, there's an extremely good chance that scavengers and birds of prey will be poisoned by eating any animals which have ingested that poison? Such deaths are known as "secondary kills." I sure hope you get that horrible stuff off your land, so that it stops endangering other animals.
If the rat problem is so severe, you may consider erecting some type of housing/perches for birds of prey. Once you've got rid of the poison, that is.
Using natural predatory contol is the way to go. A Barn owl would help greatly with your rat problem. Please do the research, rid your property of poisons and work to encourage owls and hawks to visit your property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can't beat natural prey control. A Barn owl would help greatly with your rat problem. Please do the research, rid your property of poisons and work to encourage owls and hawks to visit your property.
I rather think you are being too severe here. There really is no need to preach to someone in that manner. The birds of prey are not all that easy to conjure up in some parts of the UK, and it can take a very long time to attract them even so. This member has a nasty problem, and their priority is their child. Many of us err a bit when it comes to the ''green rules'' for the sake of something more important to them. I'll bet you're not really perfect either!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I rather think you are being too severe here. There really is no need to preach to someone in that manner. The birds of prey are not all that easy to conjure up in some parts of the UK, and it can take a very long time to attract them even so. This member has a nasty problem, and their priority is their child. Many of us err a bit when it comes to the ''green rules'' for the sake of something more important to them. I'll bet you're not really perfect either!
" . . . their priority is their child." How is their child being adversely affected by these rats? And if their child's safety is a priority ---- why on Earth are they using poison(s) in their garden?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
" . . . their priority is their child." How is their child being adversely affected by these rats? And if their child's safety is a priority ---- why on Earth are they using poison(s) in their garden?

Unlike America, we in England have had one quarter of our population killed off by disease that came with rats, we have a long memory when it comes to things like that and we really don't want rats anywhere near us or our children.

If the child touches anything that the rats have pee'd on (and rats are incontinent, they piss all the time) then there is a very real danger of catching Weil's Disease which can be fatal. I caught it from masonry that rats had been peeing on, if I hadn't have had it treated straight away it would have killed me.

We use poisons because we are not allowed to buy AK47's and shoot the mothers like you lot can.

There are hardly any birds of prey left in England, they've all been shot by game keepers who work for the rich people who pay £5,000 a day to go out and kill wildlife, so we don't have much choice really.

Oh, it took ,me a month to recover from Weil's Disease and I felt like shit but worse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for making me laugh so hard. As if ALL Yanks are gun-toting cretins who own and enjoy blowing things away with Soviet assault rifles.
it's your property and your life. I apologize for trying to educate you regarding secondary kills.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a plain bellied water snake that resides in/ under my shop. I had an old hay bale left over from horses days. I moved it a little couple of days ago and there she was. I quietly slid the hay back in place and let her alone. She breeds babies every late spring. NEVER HAD A RAT PROBLEM !! i have no chickens, so no problems there. We have red tailed hawks here and I worry about her getting ate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for making me laugh so hard. As if ALL Yanks are gun-toting cretins who own and enjoy blowing things away with Soviet assault rifles.
it's your property and your life. I apologize for trying to educate you regarding secondary kills.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rather enjoy my witty sarcasm! 🤪
Oh dear, you too... I don't think it goes down very well with others though. it also shows rather bad manners.
Between you, you have soured a perfectly reasonable thread with an honest and straightforward question on an important subject. I imagine our friend with the problem will be better off joining a different and more educated group to have a decent conversation.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The Opening poster very nicely asked for some advice on a rat problem. This seems to have turned into an arguement about the use of poisons instead so it's of no further use to the op, therefore I'm closing the thread and lets hope the op doesn't just go off and find a friendlier forum :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question