How can you keep rats and mice away from the compost heap?

Reaction score
I'd like to start a compost heap as it seems such a waste to throw all the greens away and then go out and buy compost. We live out in the country and I'm worried that it will attract rodents. Is there any way to keep them out?

Reaction score
Cats.

Or you can put your compost in a barrel or other container and cover it. You'll have to stir it around occasionally so it doesn't get too hot, but that should be done even if it wasn't in a container.

Jed

Reaction score
Any food scraps will attract animals. Using an enclosed system would be the best option. I no longer use food waste to make compost but use straw and animal manures. The problem with rodents is once encouraged to your property they will quickly find your seedlings and other vegetables such as beetroot and pumpkins. I now feed my vegetable scraps to the resident wallabies that abound around here. :)

Reaction score
Several neighbours have cats but I guess they're busy in their own gardens. It sounds like the compost bin will be best. I suppose I could put some wire or mesh underneath to discourage the mice from coming up from below. And perhaps I'll omit the food scraps. Unfortunately we don't have wallabies round here to feed, they sound fun!

Reaction score
Several neighbours have cats but I guess they're busy in their own gardens. It sounds like the compost bin will be best. I suppose I could put some wire or mesh underneath to discourage the mice from coming up from below. And perhaps I'll omit the food scraps. Unfortunately we don't have wallabies round here to feed, they sound fun!

As far as wire or mesh, two things are good to remember: Rats and mice can get through amazingly small places (so mesh would be best, with a small weave), and they can gnaw through a lot of things, so hardware cloth (as it is called in some areas) is good. It is made of metal. I cannot remember if all mesh is made of metal (but in your area, perhaps mesh and hardware cloth are the same thing).

Reaction score
They're small, crafty little critters who seem to be able to get into anything, so it's important to keep that in mind when making your compost pile to keep them away. I remember my mom's compost pile was open, and I remember going out there to add things to it and stir it around, only to have mice run out, so it's something that I would keep in mind for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I compost in a blue storage bin. Someone told me that blue plastic leaches the least amount of chemicals and the best thing was to to convert a lidded storage bin so that is what I did. It sits outside near the steps and I have another blue bin that sits on top the lid that I use to collect rainwater. I was concerned about critters, but it's completely contained, so nothing gets in.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've used a blue bin too, it had been used for shipping applejuice so I knew it would be food grade polythene. Only time a rat got in was when I forgot to put the lid back on overnight.

He wasn't happy as he'd dropped in & couldn't get back out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Only time a rat got in was when I forgot to put the lid back on overnight.

He wasn't happy as he'd dropped in & couldn't get back out.

Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Open piles never worked for me. I had a fancy black bin once, but the rest of the household wouldn't cooperate and I was still new to composting so when my uncle asked for it, I let him have it.

When I cook regularly I produce a lot of peelings and scraps and it adds up quickly. It's good to know I can reuse the stuff by composting or even taking it to the local market.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I got put off the open pile heap when I accidentally speared a baby mouse when forking it over :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You wouldn't like our rescue mouse then?

Cat brought her in over 3 years ago, she was only a baby & the time she'd got better she'd got too tame to release.

We call her Mat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You wouldn't like our rescue mouse then?

Cat brought her in over 3 years ago, she was only a baby & the time she'd got better she'd got too tame to release.

We call her Mat.

Ah, no. We city folk don't go in for that sort of thing at all.

Reaction score
The simplest and most ecologically sound way would be to cover it or put it niside of bins. An open compost pile will draw all kinds of critters, especially the more problematic ones like mice and rats. I'm sure that you neighbors would be glad if you put it in some sort of a covered structure.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, no. We city folk don't go in for that sort of thing at all.

Blimey, this is an old thread. Mat Mouse passed away, but she lived for over twice the lifespan that she would of in the wild.

Ask a Question