Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
it doing something, just not sure what....o_O

:D Don't think it knows either...

Looks like it's putting out rootlets from the leaf axles :cautious: Growing points look like they need light to develop any further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder what would happen if you hilled it with some loose soil, or straw mulch? So those little baby roots could figure out what to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never did plant my sprouted potatoes. I suppose I still have enough time to get a few little baby spuds if I hurry and get them in. I think the plants lasted at least through June the last time. I wonder if it would be worth it...?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Still time for a crop Chanell, might risk late blight though.

Reaction score
My husband and I cut the eyes off of potatoes and plant them. Each year our potato harvest if pretty good. We've grown just about every kind of potato like this. We are able to help feed our children off of the potatoes that we plant in our garden. They have got to be the easiest thing to grow. The only thing I would let people know is that the eyes of the potatoes should face the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My husband and I cut the eyes off of potatoes and plant them. Each year our potato harvest if pretty good. We've grown just about every kind of potato like this. We are able to help feed our children off of the potatoes that we plant in our garden. They have got to be the easiest thing to grow. The only thing I would let people know is that the eyes of the potatoes should face the ground.
@Smartmom, what method do you use to grow your potatoes? In all my years of growing vegetable gardens, this is the first year I've planted potatoes - Yukon Gold, red, and sweet potatoes. I bought starter plants at a greenhouse here. Some are in straw bales, and the sweet potato is in the ground. I planned on "hilling" them as they grow with straw mulch and soil. Does this sound about right?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely try it. What happens when it is not facing the ground?

Ask a Question