UK here we grow- Potato Experiment Ground Or Container The Results Round 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

2nt go round. With about the same result. A lot more potato in containers then in the ground. Looking forward to seeing what you all think about this man's experiment. From this year Published on Aug 17, 2018.

This is his one from last year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I so want to watch them, but son is asleep. Will watch them later. I had never been interested in potatoes as I am more a flower person, but the shallots I bought from Lidl for 19p started my passion. But the hot weather ruined my crop which were small and pathetic. Now they are being buried in my woodchip dump. Then I bought some very good looking potatoes only to find the inside all rotten. I will start trialling some myself.

Post my reply again later after watching the video. Lovely idea and inspiration to have the videos, @La Garden !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon the heat did the job! And the black tubs absorbed the heat!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon the heat did the job! And the black tubs absorbed the heat!
Exactly the opposite.
I reckon it was the tubs cooling at night.
Potatoes don't like it too warm, and in NW Louisiana, should really be over-wintered, or planted in Feb.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly the opposite.
I reckon it was the tubs cooling at night.
Potatoes don't like it too warm, and in NW Louisiana, should really be over-wintered, or planted in Feb.

Thought he he from the UK! I could be wrong!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The video is a guy in the UK, I find it interesting that the containers produced so much more then the ones planted in the ground. Alp might be right about the heat, but suspect it is not being as the pots where in his garden and the other plants soon were blocking the sunlight to the pots. See that in the video.
Who has a why the pots produced so much more then in the ground as he tried to treat them as close to the same as possible.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the potted potatoes might get more light and more heat. Also, the pots probably confined the roots and concentrated their efforts to fruit. But I can trial this method as now I am more keen in growing my own.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What do you grow in your garden - flowers and veg and fruits wise, @La Garden ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Right now. black diamond watermelon, beets, pineapple and regular beefsteak tomato, jalapeno peppers, sugar peas, butternut and zucchini squash, golden honeydew melon, and cantaloupe.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Right now. black diamond watermelon, beets, pineapple and regular beefsteak tomato, jalapeno peppers, sugar peas, butternut and zucchini squash, golden honeydew melon, and cantaloupe.

Love your varieties, especially the melons. I have tried yellow and water melon, but it is still a plant with no flowers and it seems to be our summer is no more. I would love to grow jalapeno myself. I'm a big fan of sugarsnaps - big and fleshy and sweet. I will make a note and drop to d them early next year! I love Selno de piedo but it came to nothing. We are just too cold for them. Lovely flavour!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love the message! Nearly brought tears to my eyes, seeing the dearth of important resource - water. I think I'm going to get more horse manure to help my soil retain moisture .. one of the ways any way! Those youngsters really trivialised the issue!

Ask a Question