Pole Chain Saw suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want a pole chain saw for 1) trimming branches on my palm trees 2) trimming stems on bushes that are too thick for my 22" Ryobi 18V hedge trimmer 3) trimming hedges that I can't get to with the hedge trimmer unless half way up a 6 ft ladder.

The trees are mostly palm trees and the frawns are up about 15 ft.
I have a Ryobi hedge trimmer that came with a 18V charger and I bought an extra battery.
I don't have a large lot. About five palm trees and some hedges growing around the house.
I don't want a gas powered chain saw.

My options:
1) an electric pole chain saw, no brand picked. I'd be fine with a cheap one.
2) a battery powered one, and it might as well be a Ryobi since I have the batteries and chargers.

Issues:
1) It seems that Ryobi models come with a screw-on extension pole that maybe makes the whole length about 7 feet long (not sure). The electric ones are on longer poles and seem to extend a few feet longer. But on the Ryobi I see that there is an off brand extension accessory that can be added to make the 7 feet go another 3 feet, approximately. I'm not sure about that because I called Ryobi and got info from them that extension poles are NOT available. But I see them online. I think without the extension I won't be able to trim some of the higher frawns on the palm trees without at least a 6 ft ladder - maybe taller) climbing up it to get another 3 ft.

So if the extension is available for the Ryobi pole saw that sort of leans me toward the battery powered Ryobi. If the extension isn't an option then I might be better off with the longer electric saw.

2) there is a convenience in not having to drag out and plug in a long power cable and then later have to wrap up the 100ft cable when done. But without the extension on the battery ryobi there would be times when I have to drag out the ladder.

3) I see two models of the 18V 6" blade ryobi. (Model# P4360BTL) (Model# P2501BTL) The 2501 is advertised as "oil free". Not sure how they get away with that. Otherwise they look very similar and weigh about the same.

I'm leaning toward the Ryobi non oil free version for a few dollars more.

Thanks for any input.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The battery powered pole saw is one of my favorite ranch tools. Highly versatile whether cutting up on limbs or down on brush. Effective all over a large acreage.

I definitely would NOT recommend anything less than 40 volts. I've had the 20v size and it just doesn't have the needed power. An 8-inch chain is as small as I would want to go with one.

Also, an auto oiler is mandatory IMO. Saves a lot of trouble as well as offering efficiency.

For my needs, its far superior to gas-powered for utility on a large property. Corded would be useless to me but not everyone.

My advice is spend a little more money up front and get a superbly useful tool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The battery powered pole saw is one of my favorite ranch tools. Highly versatile whether cutting up on limbs or down on brush. Effective all over a large acreage.

I definitely would NOT recommend anything less than 40 volts. I've had the 20v size and it just doesn't have the needed power. An 8-inch chain is as small as I would want to go with one.

Also, an auto oiler is mandatory IMO. Saves a lot of trouble as well as offering efficiency.

For my needs, its far superior to gas-powered for utility on a large property. Corded would be useless to me but not everyone.

My advice is spend a little more money up front and get a superbly useful tool.

Given the type of south florida plants I will use it on I probably don't need more cutting power or a blade longer than 8". I'll probably remain with the 18V just because I already have that for the hedge trimmer.

As for the auto oiler, what do you mean? Is that the type that is advertised as "oil free", or is it the one that doesn't say "oil free"? I don't really understand how the saw and motor stay lubricated if it is oil free.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If you don't mind slow cutting 18v will work for you but on a day(s) when you need a lot of cuts, it will really be inefficient and very tiring. The auto oiler I was talking about is for the chain. Having to do that manually along with 18v will make for a great deal of inefficient work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's somebody's answer at the Home Depot web site when asked to explain "oil-free" 2501:

"A: It doesn't use oil because the chain moves at a slower speed than usual. In the Specifications it says the chain speed is 5.3 mps (meters per second). A regular chain saw that uses oil runs about 20 mps. Slower speed, lower friction."

But when I look up the specs of the non oil-free saw 4360, it is also running at 5.3 mps.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That is a terrible answer. I have had the so-called oil free pole saw and it burned up with very little use. The friction added on the chain is way too much for the saw. Justifying oil free that way is highly misleading. Don't fall for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Interesting to me was finding out that my 58v chainsaw blades are also the pico width size blades used on my stihl pole saw. Being thin they use less energy on a cut.

I do think I would be looking more for a power head that has multiple attachments. My 58v string trimmer has the type shaft that can accept other heads. While I could see leaving it as a string trimmer most of the time, an articulating hedger and pole saw would be useful. The one thing I appreciate about my stihl polesaw is the length. I would want that in a battery polesaw as well.

Ask a Question