HELP..what is wrong with my pole beans?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I’ve been gardening for many, many years. I live in NE Pennsylvania.

I noticed these strange looking pole bean leaves a few days ago. They seem to be spreading to other poles. The first appear on the purple pole beans and the others are on green pole beans. The green pole beans are from my GF’s small village in Italy. He immigrated in 1906. Needless to say, the seeds are irreplaceable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What is the problem? And, what is the treatment?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpeg
    IMG_2412.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I’ve been gardening for many, many years. I live in NE Pennsylvania.

I noticed these strange looking pole bean leaves a few days ago. They seem to be spreading to other poles. The first appear on the purple pole beans and the others are on green pole beans. The green pole beans are from my GF’s small village in Italy. He immigrated in 1906. Needless to say, the seeds are irreplaceable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What is the problem? And, what is the treatment?

TIA
I believe your beans have common mosaic virus. It is usually caused by aphids. I know of no cure and the immediate removal of all affected plants is mandatory or the disease will spread to other legumes. Do not use seeds from affected plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is indeed Aphids try giving them a good blast of water.

If this don't help try mix of Dawn Dish Soap and Peppermint Oil.

Most don't call for Peppermint Oil but trust me Bugs hate it.

If they are still a problem spray with Neem. This is your last resort.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all for your replies. I looked into the mosaic virus and it appears I will need to pull all of my poles.

I discovered that the leaves from the bottom of the poles to about halfway up look fine. However the smaller leaves towards the top of the poles look like my picture. Is that the way the virus attacks the plant? It looks like the growth of the vines has been stunted at the point where the leaves get infected.

I am heartbroken that I may lose all my seeds. I have been planting my GF’s beans for too many years to count. All of his children are gone, and I was the last one of his grandchildren who continued to plant his beans. My daughter doesn’t care for beans and hasn’t planted them in several years.

Again thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all for your replies. I looked into the mosaic virus and it appears I will need to pull all of my poles.

I discovered that the leaves from the bottom of the poles to about halfway up look fine. However the smaller leaves towards the top of the poles look like my picture. Is that the way the virus attacks the plant? It looks like the growth of the vines has been stunted at the point where the leaves get infected.

I am heartbroken that I may lose all my seeds. I have been planting my GF’s beans for too many years to count. All of his children are gone, and I was the last one of his grandchildren who continued to plant his beans. My daughter doesn’t care for beans and hasn’t planted them in several years.

Again thanks for the replies.
Before you pull the plants have a local expert come and look or take a sample plant to him. In Texas they are called Extension Agents but whatever their name is there they are government funded. In my experience with the virus it first shows on the newer growth and when this affected newer growth start to mottle and yellow it moves to the older leaves.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States

If it is the Virus, you need to do more than just pull them all. You need to also completely remove the total plant from the garden area (and all residue like fallen leaves from the beans) ...DO NOT compost it and if you burn it do so outside the garden space. This is critical.

Also, do not grow more of the same variety in that space until you have grown something else...preferably a cover crop of some kind of legume (for example cereal rye would be a good choice).

It's unfortunate about the seeds which are special to you but I'm sorry you have to take steps to rid that soil of the virus or else live with it indefinitely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is the Virus, you need to do more than just pull them all. You need to also completely remove the total plant from the garden area (and all residue like fallen leaves from the beans) ...DO NOT compost it and if you burn it do so outside the garden space. This is critical.

Also, do not grow more of the same variety in that space until you have grown something else...preferably a cover crop of some kind of legume (for example cereal rye would be a good choice).

It's unfortunate about the seeds which are special to you but I'm sorry you have to take steps to rid that soil of the virus or else live with it indefinitely.
Thank you. I have done more than just pulled the poles. All of the plants have been removed from the roots. I would never compost any plant with a virus, so they have been removed and placed in a remote wooded area. I normally rotate plants every 2-3 years, but nothing will be planted in the infected area next year.

I kept 2 poles and will watch further development of those plants. There is a local Penn State Analytical service lab. I will visit and see what they have to say.

Again, thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Very good but I friendly suggest you not leave the infected area empty but take another step and plant a nitrogen fixing legume in it immediately for some fantastic results. It will really help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very good but I friendly suggest you not leave the infected area empty but take another step and plant a nitrogen fixing legume in it immediately for some fantastic results. It will really help.
Thank you. I will look into it. I have sent pictures to our local county Penn State Agricultural Extension office. I am awaiting their review of the pictures.

Ask a Question