Kidney beans, pole or bush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings everyone,

I sprouted some kidney beans from a bag of Goya. I tried looking it up online how to determine if they were pole or bush but according to Google; Kidney beans can be both pole or bush. I was hoping someone could tell me if I should put a stake next to it or not. Please see the attached photos. If it's also too soon to tell at this stage feel free to let me know, I'm learning as I go and look forward to borrowing your collective wisdom.

Attachments

• photo_2023-04-12_15-55-22.jpg
    photo_2023-04-12_15-55-22.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo_2023-04-12_15-55-18.jpg
    photo_2023-04-12_15-55-18.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Commercially grown beans are usually a bush type. Pole beans are more labor intensive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the prompt response as always Chuck.

Is there a way for me to tell by looking at the plant itself to determine if its bush or pole?
It is really too early to tell. You can put a stake next to the plant at any time. You can do it now and if it is a bush type you can pull it up later and not hurt a thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is really too early to tell. You can put a stake next to the plant at any time. You can do it now and if it is a bush type you can pull it up later and not hurt a thing.
I'm assuming as the plant grows, if its a bush it won't get much taller, while if it's a pole it won't get much wider?

Ask a Question