Pole Bean Diseased Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_4584.jpg

What is it and is there hope. Something I can treat it with? My bean plant and I thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you post a photo of the plants in question? I would like to see where the sick leaves are located on the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you post a photo of the plants in question? I would like to see where the sick leaves are located on the plant.
Certainly! It's still dark here, but as soon as I can go outside without scaring the neighbors with uncombed hair and PJs, I'll
take a couple more pics!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was invited to my 4 yr old g'son's first soccer game (cuteness overload!!), but am inserting the image now. Perhaps they will tell you
something. Thank you for your effort.
IMG_4588.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, it's just one container with several pole beans on a teepee. The affected leaves seem sort of randomly located? In any case,
I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The presence of some healthy leaves makes me feel it is something external rather than a full blown infection, something like aphids or leaf miners might have such an effect, but i is not something I am familiar with.
That is a good age to start soccer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The presence of some healthy leaves makes me feel it is something external rather than a full blown infection, something like aphids or leaf miners might have such an effect, but i is not something I am familiar with.
That is a good age to start soccer.
My g'son is not tall for his age, but was taller than most of his team mates, who looked barely out of diapers. It was amusing and so
endearing to watch them play their first soccer game! :)

I went out with a magnifier this morning to see what I could see on the affected leaves just in case I'd missed something. And what I
saw was...nothing. So the mystery and confusion continues. But I like your thought that it's external and not a full blown disease
and hope you are right! Mostly, I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is it still in the blossom stage or has it started producing beans yet? It looks like some kind of fungal thing but if it's already producing it should be fine long enough to get a harvest. You could try giving it some Epsom salt. I doubt it will cure it but might give it a bit of a boost, maybe not. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it still in the blossom stage or has it started producing beans yet? It looks like some kind of fungal thing but if it's already producing it should be fine long enough to get a harvest. You could try giving it some Epsom salt. I doubt it will cure it but might give it a bit of a boost, maybe not. But it wouldn't hurt to try.
No beans. I'll try Epsom salt and crossing my fingers. I value your input and thank you!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No beans. I'll try Epsom salt and crossing my fingers. I value your input and thank you!
I took a look and compared it to some diseases. It looks like bacterial blight of some kind, not a fungal problem. I would google bean leaf blight and see if you find it matches. Google says to use copper based bacterial spray, I never used it so I can't say if it's a good idea or not. But one thing it says and I agree with regardless if it's bacterial or fungal is try as much as possible to keep it dry, don't overhead water it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took a look and compared it to some diseases. It looks like bacterial blight of some kind, not a fungal problem. I would google bean leaf blight and see if you find it matches. Google says to use copper based bacterial spray, I never used it so I can't say if it's a good idea or not. But one thing it says and I agree with regardless if it's bacterial or fungal is try as much as possible to keep it dry, don't overhead water it.

Thank you for giving me hope that I might find some clarity after all. Identifying, preventing, or treating diseased plants in my garden is the single biggest, most overwhelming, utterly confusing challenge I face. Sometimes I wonder if the reason the photo(s) online of a diseased leaves looks different than mine is because they are in a different stage of the disease? Less or more advanced maybe?

I googled “bacterial blight on green bean leaves”. And up popped “blight” this and “blight” that, which made me wonder if there's a difference in “blight” and “bacterial blight”. @@ <---eyeroll. Then I came across this from some university extension: “If you have had problems with bacterial blight, you may want to use a combination of copper and mancozeb-containing fungicides for control”

Huh? So what does that mean? I assumed “bacterial” meant bacteria caused it and not fungi so you must treat it accordingly. Now I'm more confused than ever.

Yes, proper watering is one of the (relatively few) gardening chores I clearly understood. Lol But this summer offered up a series of drizzles. Just enough to wet the garden, then it stops for several hours, then it drizzles again. Yesterday it was 100 degrees, the day before 101, and today we have a 94 degree “cold front”. <---I'm getting dizzy.

Because my garden is small, some may think it inconsequential – I might feel that way if I had acres of plants and somebody was whining over two pepper plants – but it is hugely important to me and I probably spend as much time wandering in it and worrying about it and trying to get better at it as I might if it were acreage.

I'm reluctant to purchase a specific treatment for a specific disease for two plants. Yanno? I've tried to justify doing that, thinking the disease might come along again and I'd be glad I have it. But I'm hoping to learn more about prevention and treating with home remedies.

In any case, a big hug to you for going out of your way and taking your own time to share the above info. I do think it looks like “bacterial blight”. So I'm going back to Google to read some more and maybe sort out some confusion.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for giving me hope that I might find some clarity after all. Identifying, preventing, or treating diseased plants in my garden is the single biggest, most overwhelming, utterly confusing challenge I face. Sometimes I wonder if the reason the photo(s) online of a diseased leaves looks different than mine is because they are in a different stage of the disease? Less or more advanced maybe?

I googled “bacterial blight on green bean leaves”. And up popped “blight” this and “blight” that, which made me wonder if there's a difference in “blight” and “bacterial blight”. @@ <---eyeroll. Then I came across this from some university extension: “If you have had problems with bacterial blight, you may want to use a combination of copper and mancozeb-containing fungicides for control”

Huh? So what does that mean? I assumed “bacterial” meant bacteria caused it and not fungi so you must treat it accordingly. Now I'm more confused than ever.

Yes, proper watering is one of the (relatively few) gardening chores I clearly understood. Lol But this summer offered up a series of drizzles. Just enough to wet the garden, then it stops for several hours, then it drizzles again. Yesterday it was 100 degrees, the day before 101, and today we have a 94 degree “cold front”. <---I'm getting dizzy.

Because my garden is small, some may think it inconsequential – I might feel that way if I had acres of plants and somebody was whining over two pepper plants – but it is hugely important to me and I probably spend as much time wandering in it and worrying about it and trying to get better at it as I might if it were acreage.

I'm reluctant to purchase a specific treatment for a specific disease for two plants. Yanno? I've tried to justify doing that, thinking the disease might come along again and I'd be glad I have it. But I'm hoping to learn more about prevention and treating with home remedies.

In any case, a big hug to you for going out of your way and taking your own time to share the above info. I do think it looks like “bacterial blight”. So I'm going back to Google to read some more and maybe sort out some confusion.

It is all confusing and it only sometimes only gets less confusing with time and experience dealing first hand with problems like this that pop up. I only have one rule in gardening for myself and that's having fun with it, otherwise it becomes the opposite of why I garden in the first place, my garden is my escape from day to day things and my happy place. If something I planted doesn't turn out, there is always a grocery store lol. Now that I gave my motivational speech that sounds like I'm Yoda lol, take a deep breath and think of your options:

1) You can go to the local garden store and ask for some copper based bacterial spray. Throwing caution to the wind and seeing if it helps or not.

2) let nature do its thing and hope that the harvest is ready before the health of the plant becomes as dead as the poor little caterpillar you flushed. (Joke)

3) Spend hours researching it relentlessly until you come to an absolute conclusion and remedy.

I think they are all good choices. But regardless of the exact kind of blight it might be I am pretty sure the most common thing used will be the copper based bacterial spray.

And no problem, happy to help and I love learning so I enjoy trying help with problem solving. Keep the thread updated, I am interested in knowing what happens, whatever you decide to do. Wishing you the best of luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
my garden is my escape from day to day things and my happy place.

Yes! My little garden has given me much in the way of quiet, peaceful, satisfying moments with a little awe and wonder thrown in. But this summer it feels more like having a very sick baby and no doctor.

I'm leaning toward getting the copper stuff because it apparently prevents and addresses a variety of disease issues. It's a little late for prevention, but I'm looking at next year.

Re # 2. When it comes to bugs in the garden, particularly stink bugs and squash bugs and vine borers, I have a savage heart. But after spending “quality time” with the hornworm, lol, even taking a video of it, being thoroughly impressed by its performance, the notion of flushing it did give me pause. Well...for a moment. Then I rolled my eyes, which I do a lot, and asked myself if I planned to drive 20 miles away and “let it go”? No! But I could've given it to the birds, at least, if I'd thought of it. (RIP hornworm.)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes! My little garden has given me much in the way of quiet, peaceful, satisfying moments with a little awe and wonder thrown in. But this summer it feels more like having a very sick baby and no doctor.

I'm leaning toward getting the copper stuff because it apparently prevents and addresses a variety of disease issues. It's a little late for prevention, but I'm looking at next year.

Re # 2. When it comes to bugs in the garden, particularly stink bugs and squash bugs and vine borers, I have a savage heart. But after spending “quality time” with the hornworm, lol, even taking a video of it, being thoroughly impressed by its performance, the notion of flushing it did give me pause. Well...for a moment. Then I rolled my eyes, which I do a lot, and asked myself if I planned to drive 20 miles away and “let it go”? No! But I could've given it to the birds, at least, if I'd thought of it. (RIP hornworm.)

I think this has been the worst year for gardening that I can remember. Where I am there is hardly a day that goes by that it doesn't rain at some point. Other places there has been no rain for months. There seems to be a lot of gardeners this year having problems like what you have, I don't know if it's because of the change in weather patterns but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

It would be a good idea if you don't already, to rotate everything around next year because a lot of those diseases can stay in the soil and cause the same problems. Also if you compost I would keep the bean plants out and put them in the garbage instead when they are finished.

I don't know what happened to the hormworms I had? I am guessing they did their cocoon thing but if they did it in the garden they are compost now because I chopped up that section of garden with the whipper snipper to prepare it for next year lol.

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like Septoria leaf blight.
I've got a fellow homesteader neighbor who has lost his whole crop of beans because it spread to the bean pods. I'd defentily do the copper in hopes of keeping it from spreading.
I'd say you have had a lot of rain where you are this year. Although it's been dry at my location for the last couple of weeks, it's been one of the rainiest summers I can remember causing all kinds of troubles.

Ask a Question