Plants for shady areas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to grow some colourful plants at the front of my house either in pots or in the soil. The trouble is that this area gets very little sun. At the moment there are mainly ferns growing in this area, but it all looks so green and dull! I'd like to brighten it up a bit with some colourful flowers. Can anyone recommend any suitable shade loving plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Periwinkles might be worth a try too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Callas love the shade
I have one garden that is in total shade all day, and by that, I mean NO sun. Contrary to what the seed package says, I have grown nasturtiums in full shade with glorious success. I have also had great success with camelias, hydrangea, impatients, day lilies, hellebores, astilbe, and begonias - also in total shade. For late winter to early spring, hellebore is a long-blooming variety. Camelias lead the way in later winter as well, there are a few varieties that start blooming in December, one of which is Yuletide. The rest of those I mention are summer flowering plants. Two perennial plants I like are Brunneria, which does not have big blooms, but the foliage is stunning, and Ligularia. There are two varieties of Ligularia that I know of. Both have amazing foliage. One blooms in late summer, the other in late fall.

You might also consider some shrubs, assuming you have space, that have colorful foliage such as Mexican Orange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to grow some colourful plants at the front of my house either in pots or in the soil. The trouble is that this area gets very little sun. At the moment there are mainly ferns growing in this area, but it all looks so green and dull! I'd like to brighten it up a bit with some colourful flowers. Can anyone recommend any suitable shade loving plants?
I've also grown rhododendrons and day lillies in total shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
My Cannas do well in the shade. In fact, they even thrive there than in the sun, would flower abundantly and grow as tall as 6'3 feet.

Ask a Question