Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Been there and done that.

I have found it is far better to just save a few seeds from a superior plant and replant in spring. The resulting plant will be significantly more productive and vigorous than any overwintered one.

I have done this with jalapeno for many years and as a result have plants that are incredibly productive and disease free...producing over 300 jalapenos per plant over a single growing season.

You will not get that from an overwintered one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe that last yr i had a haberno plant that was started from seed from yr before
It produced nice peppers really came on towards end of summer little better but we had habernos in December of this yr it was in a greenhouse that helped for sure

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had my peppers in containers so I decided to overwinter them to get a quicker start the next year. I kept them in a shaded area of my unheated greenhouse but closed off the area around the peppers and kept them at 45-50 degrees. 18 plants all died. So now I just seed early indoors to get an earlier harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I decided to overwinter a Jalapeño plant and a Habanero plant last year.

I over-wintered a potted bell pepper plant. Put it back out the first of April (I live in Vegas). It began putting forth fruit last week, almost before my tomatoes. When i brought it in i cut it back and kept it watered. I didn't think i would get any fruit.

Attachments

• 20240419_100849.jpg
    20240419_100849.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I have gotten peppers off of them but never as much as fresh grown plants. not worth it for me

Ask a Question