Is overwintering pepper plants beneficial?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 25 plants of peppers, lots of types. Many branches are droopy from the weight of peppers... string helped keep em up but they grew bigger. Not sure why they can't support there own weight, few anyway.

Regardless, trying to decide if I want to save some or all over winter.

Does it taste better or worse year 2? More or less crops? What's the difference really, between a 1 year old plant and 2 or 3 year old.

Just trying to figure out what the advantages and disadvantages would be, hard to tell what is better, new or mature, varies in wine, no idea in peppers, lol.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my experience, which is mostly with jalapenos, taste is the same, production is reduced each year, and susceptibility to health issues increases with age.

IMO, better off to start fresh each spring (with saved seeds if you prefer) than nursing old plants along.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried it for the first time last year and to be honesf it was a hassle keeping them going all winter. They eventually died but I did get clones before hand.

I wont do it again.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Peppers are annuals and not perennials. Plus they are heat-loving plants and growing in the Winter is not the same as growing them in the Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Peppers are annuals and not perennials. Plus they are heat-loving plants and growing in the Winter is not the same as growing them in the Summer.
Peppers are considered indeterminate and possible some determinate. They are not annuals or perennials. They continue to produce as long as the weather permits.

I only grow indeterminate tomatoes simply because they produce until frost. Same applies to peppers.

The reason to over winter is not for them to produce but to have an advance root system to start the new growing year with.

It wasnt worth the hassle for me. Starting them by seed early in my grow tent worked better for my zone, 5b.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mistake, thanks for catching it, friend. I assumed they were annuals... Here is what I found.

Yes—peppers (hot and sweet) are perennial plants that will live for many, many years if protected from frost. If your pepper plants are in the ground, transfer them into pots right away. Google

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mistake, thanks for catching it, friend. I assumed they were annuals... Here is what I found.

Yes—peppers (hot and sweet) are perennial plants that will live for many, many years if protected from frost. If your pepper plants are in the ground, transfer them into pots right away. Google
Interesting. I believe the difference between a perenial and indeterminate would be a perennial does not constantly supple flowers, fruit or vegetables. An indeternimate once mature will continue to grow and produce throughout its life cycle as long as the growing conditions are met. Great example is an indeterminate tomato plant. The real question would be is an indeterminate a plant or vine since it continues to grow?

Guess we are both right and wrong per Google. Not sure anymore but you do have a point.

MOD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-143158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809-143158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question