Corn, tomatoes, peppers, melons, beans.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I picked 138 ears of corn, we blanched it, cut it off cob, froze 35 pints. Tomatoes keep producing 10 lbs ever day. We already picked 180 lbs of ripe tomatoes. Plants are load with peppers but I only picked a few. I picked a few flat pod beans for stir fry dinner. We picked our first ripe melon yesterday.

100_8227.JPG
100_8210.JPG
100_8211.JPG
100_8200.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow your tomatoes look awesome and everything else too. Holy smokes someone has a lot of work to do in the kitchen. Do you have sandy loam for garden soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow your tomatoes look awesome and everything else too. Holy smokes someone has a lot of work to do in the kitchen. Do you have sandy loam for garden soil?

Here in TN we have terrible clay soil. I rent a dump trailer about every 5 years to haul 10,000. of free mulch from the recycle center to my garden. TN weather is rain almost every day Jan to April 47" lost year, the garden is desert May to Oct with almost no rain about 1" of rain per month. I do Arizona style irrigation push soil up like a levee both sides of a row of plants then fill it with water. Water stays in the row not in the walk area. I put about 4" of mulch = dead dry ground up tree leaves on row soil surface when it needs it then till it in. Walk area has no weeds with no water soil is hard as cement. I never do raised beds but I have bed with boards around then like a levee to hold in water.

100_8231.JPG
100_7549.JPG

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Huhhummmm. You didnt say what varieties.

I think I see jalepeno and anaheim peppers. Your tomatoes have that little nipple on the blossom end it appears.
It looks like peaches and cream sweet corn but I could be wrong. Anyway very nice looking veggies!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like peaches and cream sweet corn but I could be wrong. Anyway very nice looking veggies!!

I planted G90 bicolor sweet corn. It claims to be a 90 day crop but it is always 85 days for me.

Google search says, corn needs 1 lb of Urea = 46-0-0 fertilizer every 50 ft.

Fertilize 3 times, when seeds are planted, when plants are knee high, when ears have silks.

A 50 lb bag of Urea is $20 at Farmers co-op. I have 128 ft of corn, seed spacing 5", that = 307 seeds. This was a bad year about 100 seeds did not grow. I picked 48 more ears today = 186 ears of good corn. I cut all the corn stalks down. About 6 pm I will use riding lawn mower to mulch and blow chopped corn stalks and cobs into the garden then till it into the soil.

100_8234.JPG
100_8237.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question