Onions are impossible?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why can't they invent a better onion, still kinda confused... simple question, knowing that I got 400 gallons of happy frog containers and soil, and like 30 variety of seed, and a 8x4 vivosun grow tent, what are my steps to produce the most onions in georgia... I might have to do it all, lol bulbs, sets, plants seeds, direct sow and indoor grow... I wants some onion! How'd I **** this up 2 years in a row... last year I planted them in like June, they were sort of green most of the winter, still alive kinda, but soil was too soggy, scrappy container.

Here's my plan I guess for the weekend:
- Start seeds in door under strong ass grow lights, 18 hours a day at 100% 480W LED full spectrum, unless you say go more.
- Throw some seeds of different types in some containers outside, maybe transplant later.
- move the onions growing thru the winter.

September:
I guess start seed inside and grow there for 8 months before planting outside in march. seems to be the wisedom... you'd think you could grow a whole onion under leds in that amount of time.

Only short day I guess. Still don't get why I can't do long day, like can't I just put them in a little more shade... it really has to be precisely these daylight ours? Finicky little bastards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's really hard to get all the information on here that is needed.

I just get bits & pieces, then have to try to put the puzzle together.

You you can't get all the pieces for the puzzle It's impossible to put together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's really hard to get all the information on here that is needed.

I just get bits & pieces, then have to try to put the puzzle together.

You you can't get all the pieces for the puzzle It's impossible to put together.
Yeah, onions seem like chess... cucumbers seem like checkers... tomatoes are janja.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So, @gunslingor, were you able to check on the availability of live plants for transplanting as I recommended?

I know these folks have them, but it will take a few days to ship. They are an excellent supplier.

https://dixondalefarms.com/product/1015y-texas-super-sweet-onion-plants/

Why can't they invent a better onion, still kinda confused...
They have...it's called Texas Supersweet 1015... growing them is very easy in zone 8 if you start at right times, but starting now, which is NOT the right time, your best bet is the live plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, @gunslingor, were you able to check on the availability of live plants for transplanting as I recommended?

I know these folks have them, but it will take a few days to ship. They are an excellent supplier.

https://dixondalefarms.com/product/1015y-texas-super-sweet-onion-plants/

They have...it's called Texas Supersweet 1015... growing them is very easy in zone 8 if you start at right times, but starting now, which is NOT the right time, your best bet is the live plants.
Alright, I ordered some, looks like they don't ship till March though, lol... when are you supposed to put em in the ground?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Alright, I ordered some, looks like they don't ship till March though, lol...
Faster would be your local feed store/garden center...but you are so late what's a few days more waiting on the mail.
... when are you supposed to put em in the ground?

LOL:ROFLMAO:. Well, I guess you could wait for Easter (sarcasm) or maybe income Tax Day (more sarcasm) or maybe...o_O

Plant them IMMEDIATELY in the ground, after soaking the roots overnight in water....and pray the onion Gods don't throw too many bolts at 'em (more sarcasms)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess the weird one for you but I always thought was normal... I have direct sun coming in the north facing windows during summer near both sunrise and sunset.
I never really thought about the geometry of it. Just assumed areas between me and the equator got more light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
How about a slight tangent and possible option for @gunslingor until next fall?

Would green onion bunches be possible at any point it's warm enough to grow? Are southern summers too warm for them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, assuming I want to direct sow union next year, I should plant em in September?
Sometimes it pays to read other folks threads. Quote Meadowlark:
Direct seed 10-15 and harvest about 5-15

Would green onion bunches be possible at any point it's warm enough to grow? Are southern summers too warm for them?
I used to buy onion plants from Lowes and plant them right about the time they came in stock. They aren't in stock just yet here. So yes, Gunslingor you still have an option to grow bulbing onions. Lowes, Walmart, and Home Depot carries the Bonnie Plants brand. Maybe they don't in your area, not sure.

I may still buy some plants as another option but haven't in the last couple years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright. 1015, direct seed outside, to hell with winter. I'll get some junk from home depo, onions or bust.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How about a slight tangent and possible option for @gunslingor until next fall?

Green onions grow easily, pick up a bunch at the grocery store. Make sure they have some roots on them. Separate and plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would happen if you gave short or long day onions 18 hours of light everyday from seed to 3 months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What would happen if you gave short or long day onions 18 hours of light everyday from seed to 3 months?
I don't know but I wondered that myself if you grow them under a grow light.

Maybe they have to be so mature first and the required number of daylight hours before starting to bulb out?

My short day onion seedlings get about 14 hours of grow light. Kind of makes me wonder if they really need that long of a light per day in the seedling stages. They sure do get long though and I have to trim mine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know but I wondered that myself if you grow them under a grow light.

Maybe they have to be so mature first and the required number of daylight hours before starting to bulb out?

My short day onion seedlings get about 14 hours of grow light. Kind of makes me wonder if they really need that long of a light per day in the seedling stages. They sure do get long though and I have to trim mine.
I might experiment. I got a 200 cell thing for tiny plants I guess, lol, I can fit a finger about an inch deep, might fill em with differ onions and see what happens.
1000005322.jpg

Ask a Question