I planted Onions today, Feb 15.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted onions today Feb 15. Last year I planted Match 1st that was too late. I planted, 70 Vidalia, 150 Candy onions, 75 Red onions. Murfreesboro TN.

101_8469.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last years harvest was June 20. This year will probably be about June 20 also.
Looks like you planted in the same place.
Looks like you're getting decent size onions maybe 4-5"
how did you go about fertilizing them if any?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like you planted in the same place.
Looks like you're getting decent size onions maybe 4-5"
how did you go about fertilizing them if any?

First you buy the correct day length onions for your zone, Candy onion, Vidalia, Red Onion, White onion. I am in zone 7 Murfreesboro TN. Onions need lots of nitrogen for 8 weeks to grow as many green leaves as possible. 9 leaves means the onion will have 9 rings. 10 leaves means the onion will have 10 rings. 12 leaves is 12 ring. Then you stop giving plants nitrogen and start feeding them 0-20-20 fertilizer for 6 weeks this grows large diameter onions. Once tops fall over and start drying out harvest all the onions.

Our day length is 14 hrs 20 min. on June 21.

Small onions plants are best to grow if you can find anyone that sells them in bundles of 75. Sets are good too as long as they are big 3/4" to 1" diameter. Small sets will never grow a large onion. Onions are day length sensitive plant now if your in Zone 7 or you miss your chance to grow large onions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
First you buy the correct intermediate day onions for your zone, Candy onion, Vidalia, Red Onion, White onion. I am in zone 7 Murfreesboro TN. Onions need lots of nitrogen for 2 months to grow as many leaves as possible. 9 leaves means the onion will have 9 rings. 10 leaves means the onion will have 10 rings. 12 leaves is 12 ring. Then you stop giving plants nitrogen and start feeding them 0-20-20 fertilizer for 6 weeks this produces large diameter onions. Once tops fall over and start drying out harvest all the onions.

Our day length is 14 hrs 20 min. on June 21.

Small onions plants are best to grow if you can find anyone that sells them in bundles of 75. Sets are good too as long as they are big 3/4" to 1" diameter. Small sets will never grow a large onion. Onions are day length sensitive plant now if your in Zone 7 or you miss your chance to grow large onions.
Do they all store well?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do they all store well?

Candy onions store for about 2 to 3 months. Vidalia store for about 1 month. Red onions store for about 1 month. White onions store for about 2 to 3 months. When onions start to go bad slice and dice them freeze them in zip lock bags in the quantity you need for, stew, chili, tacos, bake beans, meat loaf, potato salad, etc. Frozen onions last all winter until the next crop of onions.

Fried onion rings are amazing good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you using organic or synthetic fertilizer?

If you can get high numbers any plant food works. Nitrogen = 20-0-0. P&K = 0-20-20. A little bit once a week. If all you can get is 5-0-0 and 0-5-5 then feed plants every other day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Short day onions for me too. I tried Walla Walla (long day) and they don't bulb up too great. I've been growing Texas Grano (short day) from seed with pretty good results and previously the red onion plants from Lowes which they don't give a name to.

Mine store great in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Still have a couple from last year I believe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Short day onions for me too. I tried Walla Walla (long day) and they don't bulb up too great. I've been growing Texas Grano (short day) from seed with pretty good results and previously the red onion plants from Lowes which they don't give a name to.

Mine store great in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Still have a couple from last year I believe.

Buy this light turn it on before dark to give your onions a few hours mores light you can grow long day onions outside in your garden. This LED light will run all night for 5 cents worth of electricity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Buy this light turn it on before dark to give your onions a few hours mores light you can grow long day onions outside in your garden. This LED light will run all night for 5 cents worth of electricity.

Candy onions store for about 2 to 3 months. Vidalia store for about 1 month. Red onions store for about 1 month. White onions store for about 2 to 3 months.

Do you do that? You didn't specifically say you grew a type of long day onion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you do that? You didn't specifically say you grew a type of long day onion.
I bought a light to do that but not tried it yet. Someone on another garden forum says they do that. I have a good variety of intermediate onions to grow no point in me trying it. I bought 5 of those lights to use for security lights at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a good variety of intermediate onions to grow no point in me trying it.
Yea. I'm happy with my short day onions. I've wanted to try the day neutral type but I would have to order the seed so I just don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

This is what's confusing me. Im at top right of intermediate day zone. I've been tring to figure this out going on two years now. I know it states intermediate day onions will grow well in any zone and I haven't grown any yet of that type. I did grow long day type last year and done fairly well with onions up to 4 and 5". I planted long day type again this past fall and still in ground growing. All of my onions was planted from sets. Short day type I haven't grown yet. Short day type onions starts down top of Georgia and down to Florida. Gary350 is in Tennessee growing short day onions and he's in same zone I'm in which is zone 7. I just haven't figured this out yet. Or the map is confusing me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_100639_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_100639_Google.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question