• Screenshot_20240216_163026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_163026_Chrome.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think you could start a little earlier than me, maybe 2 weeks. Try that and work from there.

Onions will survive below frost level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would think you could start a little earlier than me, maybe 2 weeks. Try that and work from there.

Onions will survive below frost level.
Yes I was thinking I could start 2-4 weeks earlier than you.
What is your time frame of harvest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull some as green onions so pretty early but I usually pull them out of the ground around the last of June or first of July because the tops fall over and then store them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what's confusing me. Im at top right of intermediate day zone. I've been tring to figure this out going on two years now. I know it states intermediate day onions will grow well in any zone and I haven't grown any yet of that type. I did grow long day type last year and done fairly well with onions up to 4 and 5". I planted long day type again this past fall and still in ground growing. All of my onions was planted from sets. Short day type I haven't grown yet. Short day type onions starts down top of Georgia and down to Florida. Gary350 is in Tennessee growing short day onions and he's in same zone I'm in which is zone 7. I just haven't figured this out yet. Or the map is confusing me.

I am not growing short day onions. I grow intermediate day onions. We have 14 hrs, 20 min of daylight June 21. The trick to a good crop of onions is to plant the correct onion for your daylength. Plant early Feb 15 works good in my zone 7a I live 30 miles south of Nashville TN. Onion plants have 2 grow stages, they grow tips first then when day length is long enough that triggers the plant to stop grow leaves and to start growing bulbs. Feed you plants high nitrogen fertilizer for 6 to 8 weeks then stop using nitrogen, switch to a different fertilizer with high P&K like 0-20-20 fertilizer once a week for 6 to 8 weeks. Your goal is to use nitrogen to grow as many green leaves as possible, 9 leaves will make a 9 ring onion, 10 leaves produces 10 ring onions, 12 leaves = 12 ring onions. Next feed plants high P&K fertilizer to grow the large bulbs you can. The boards I have around my plant hold in water when I water my plant. My levees prevent water from leaving, I don't want to grow weeds and grass in the walk area. I water plants often every day if I remember. When it is time for plants to grow large 4" & 5" bulbs plants get 3 times more water. 10 gallons of water every day is good. My water meter bill shows 100 gallons of water cost me about 40 cents. About June 20 my onions are ready to harvest NO more water or onions will rot. I leave onions in the garden to dry. I plant several times more onions that we need so we can start eating them before they are full grown. Keep onions in a dry place Vidalia & Red onions keep about 1 month slice and dice freeze them before they go bad they keep for a year in the freezer. Other onions last about 2 to 3 month before they need to be frozen. If some of your onions make seed tops save seeds to plan Sept 1st.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I pull some as green onions so pretty early but I usually pull them out of the ground around the last of June or first of July because the tops fall over and then store them.

Not sure if you fish, but if you do Lums pond is awesome for bass

I have been 6b for last 12 years that I know of. now all of a sudden 7A? I started onion seeds indoors 02/01.

I am not growing short day onions. I grow intermediate day onions. We have 14 hrs, 20 min of daylight June 21. The trick to a good crop of onions is to plant the correct onion for your daylength. Plant early Feb 15 works good in my zone 7a I live 30 miles south of Nashville TN. Onion plants have 2 grow stages, they grow tips first then when day length is long enough that triggers the plant to stop grow leaves and to start growing bulbs. Feed you plants high nitrogen fertilizer for 6 to 8 weeks then stop using nitrogen, switch to a different fertilizer with high P&K like 0-20-20 fertilizer once a week for 6 to 8 weeks. Your goal is to use nitrogen to grow as many green leaves as possible, 9 leaves will make a 9 ring onion, 10 leaves produces 10 ring onions, 12 leaves = 12 ring onions. Next feed plants high P&K fertilizer to grow the large bulbs you can. The boards I have around my plant hold in water when I water my plant. My levees prevent water from leaving, I don't want to grow weeds and grass in the walk area. I water plants often every day if I remember. When it is time for plants to grow large 4" & 5" bulbs plants get 3 times more water. 10 gallons of water every day is good. My water meter bill shows 100 gallons of water cost me about 40 cents. About June 20 my onions are ready to harvest NO more water or onions will rot. I leave onions in the garden to dry. I plant several times more onions that we need so we can start eating them before they are full grown. Keep onions in a dry place Vidalia & Red onions keep about 1 month slice and dice freeze them before they go bad they keep for a year in the freezer. Other onions last about 2 to 3 month before they need to be frozen. If some of your onions make seed tops save seeds to plan Sept 1st.
You planted sets in February, that's probably when I would start intermediate onions. Last two years I've done onion sets in Oct. through winter til June following year with onion 4-5"

Ask a Question