Onions have gone to seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Every year I plant multi-sow onion plugs (self sown) and also onion sets. Both always do really well. The multi sows are great as they double up as spring onions all summer as I take the biggest from each bunch. The last onion in the plug grows every bit as big as my onion sets. My spacing for multi sown plugs is the same as for sets.

I always start my sets out early in plug trays. This year we had an abnormally hot spring and I'm guessing that's why all my onion sets (two varieties) have gone to seed? They started developing seed heads in early June!

I keep reading that it's not worth growing onions from seed - I guess that's why I always get sets too. But if I'm consistently getting good result from seed, and if sets come with a risk of going to seed - why does everyone swear by sets?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've not had any luck with onions other than green. I let the green go to seed and they spread. 1 bunch of grocery store green onions (about 20) grew to 200 plus in a couple years.
This spring I pulled almost 3 bushels and transplanted 2, gave the others away at work.

Similar story with garlic but this year seems promising. Greens forming a good stalk and just starting to die off. Might do some exploratory digging in a couple weeks.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...- why does everyone swear by sets?
We like large onions, and onions that store well...like this 4 plus pounder. I can only grow these from fresh dug plants which are started from seed about 10-15 in the Rio Grande valley of Texas. I grow over 200 pounds each year for storage and use.

4 pound 1015.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Every year I plant multi-sow onion plugs (self sown) and also onion sets. Both always do really well. The multi sows are great as they double up as spring onions all summer as I take the biggest from each bunch. The last onion in the plug grows every bit as big as my onion sets. My spacing for multi sown plugs is the same as for sets.

I always start my sets out early in plug trays. This year we had an abnormally hot spring and I'm guessing that's why all my onion sets (two varieties) have gone to seed? They started developing seed heads in early June!

I keep reading that it's not worth growing onions from seed - I guess that's why I always get sets too. But if I'm consistently getting good result from seed, and if sets come with a risk of going to seed - why does everyone swear by sets?
Sets don't just come with the risk of seed; any trace of root gives the risk of white rot or other nasties, that's why I NEVER use them, ONLY seed.
Running to seed was not likely to be caused by temperature, much more likely was the accompanying lack of rain.
When it's that dry, you need to water, even better if you also mulch with some grass cuttings near, but not on, the plants.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... any trace of root gives the risk of white rot or other nasties, that's why I NEVER use them, ...
In over 4 decades of growing big onions from plants, I've never seen those or any other "nasties" on onions...just another huge difference across the Pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never grown them from seed but I find some onions do well in my garden and some don't. Yellow onions I can grow really big, ones like Spanish onions do okay but nothing big. Red onions are my absolute favorite and mostly the only onion I will eat if given the choice but I can never get them to grow larger then a tennis ball and that's if I am lucky. Usually they get as big as a golf ball and that's as good as it gets for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sets don't just come with the risk of seed; any trace of root gives the risk of white rot or other nasties, that's why I NEVER use them, ONLY seed.
Running to seed was not likely to be caused by temperature, much more likely was the accompanying lack of rain.
When it's that dry, you need to water, even better if you also mulch with some grass cuttings near, but not on, the plants.
I (perhaps selfishly) watered throughout the May/June drought.

By chance, I was reading an article over the winter about starting onion sets early in plug trays. It mentioned in brief a risk of the onions going to seed early if certain conditions occured, but unfortunately I can't remember what those conditions were. I have a feeling it was something like early warmth then a late cold snap. Regardless, it's possible that the weakness was down to me starting them out very early in seed trays in the polytunnel. Maybe they'd have been fine if I'd waited and planted them directly outside a bit later.

Regardless, I think I'm going to stick to seed only next year. I might even save my seed from the onions that have gone to seed! I'm actually quite happy about it as I grew my onions in the front garden among mostly ornamental beds. The onion seed heads look amazing - the bees love them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Pepper - presumably this is before they flower? I too have noticed that red onions don't do as well as white. My climate is cool and normally damp.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pepper - presumably this is before they flower? I too have noticed that red onions don't do as well as white. My climate is cool and normally damp.

Yes, before they flower for pickling and eating. Although I've used both the flowers and seeds when pickling things too for a nice light flavor. Those purple flower heads on chives that most people pick off and toss in the compost are excellent added to pickled eggs, gives them a nice color and a mild flavor added too.

The small red onions are not as impressive as the big ones that a slice can cover an entire 1lb burger but they are still yummy with a bit of salt to eat with cheese and anything pickled.. a few pepperets and crackers. That is often a supper for me when I don't feel like cooking lol.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had more than usual bolt this year, thought it was the cold North wind as well as the lack of rain. Air temperature hasn't been much above 5c all spring :confused:

Ask a Question