Newsletter Suggestions

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be sending out a newsletter in the coming days, which will feature some of the highlights on the site. It'll feature 5 interesting threads, plus a couple of the showcases. There may even be a competition announced :cool:...

Are there any interesting threads from the past month or so that you think would make for interesting reading in the newsletter? If so, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts! Ideally threads that would encourage members that perhaps haven't posted in a while to join in.

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea Ian and something that I will be looking forward to.

As for interesting threads that would encourage members to join in - although somewhat older than a month or two - I wonder if - modified a bit - this might be worth considering

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/rainbow-colored-vegetables.1610/

especially as - not only are all the seeds now readily available almost everywhere - but with planting season almost upon us - they might just be what people are looking for as alternative to the regular varieties :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
How about a little box for monthly tips on gardening on a budget.

not everyone has access to recycled materials.

Those of us on limited budgets might be able to help new gardeners afford their passion.

many thanks for all your hard work!

Lori

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Perhaps an article about easily propagated plants--cuttings, when to take them, how to get them to root, and hardening off.
Also, (and this is my soapbox topic) sharing excess vegetables at a local food pantry and taking small bouquets to a local nursing home for those patients who perhaps don't get flowers.
As Lori said, thank you for your hard work that makes this great forum even better!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the ideas folks, I'm sending this months out today, but I'll expand next month and see what I can do :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I think a competition would be fun. The categories are almost endless.

In my local club, for saltwater aquariums, we hold friendly coral growing competitions twice a year. Any one interested in participating grows the same type of coral, takes a picture of their coral in the beginning, posts updated pictures every so often, and then posts a final picture at the end. Members vote for the winner. It has been a lot of fun and has added a lot of interaction between members.

I didn't get a copy of the newsletter as of yet, perhaps I need to adjust something in my profile settings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about a little box for monthly tips on gardening on a budget.

not everyone has access to recycled materials.

Those of us on limited budgets might be able to help new gardeners afford their passion.

many thanks for all your hard work!

Lori

I really like this idea of a section about gardening on a budget. A lot of people think that you have to have expensive equipment and tools to start gardening, when just about any resource can be used. There are also low cost places to get your hands on some seeds.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think a competition would be fun. The categories are almost endless.

Up until the last moment, there was going to be a competition announced, I had the thread ready to go... however it part of it involved photos of your garden, so I put it back a month as there are some members with loads of snow still and I don't want them to miss out. It the weather improves then it'll happen in April :D.

I didn't get a copy of the newsletter as of yet, perhaps I need to adjust something in my profile settings.

If you take a peek at this page it should let you subscribe if you're not already :):

https://www.gardening-forums.com/newsletter/subscription

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is the newsletter sent to our emails or do we find it on this site? I just subscribed so I wanted to know where to look for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I show my setting as subscribed. Wondering if someone helping me accidently deleted your newsletter.
Is there somewhere I can go to look at it?
many thanks
Lori

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is the newsletter sent to our emails or do we find it on this site? I just subscribed so I wanted to know where to look for it.

It'll come through to your inbox around the 5th of each month :).

I show my setting as subscribed. Wondering if someone helping me accidently deleted your newsletter.
Is there somewhere I can go to look at it?
many thanks
Lori

It could have been detected as spam, so keep your eyes peeled on the junk folder around the 5th of the month just in case!

There's a web-version here so that you don't miss out :): https://www.gardening-forums.com/newsletter

Ask a Question