Secateurs suggestions please.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a decent pair of secateurs and having browsed YouTube videos am leaning towards Felco 2 which I can buy through eBay from Germany at £42.63.

What secateurs do you use and any suggestions please.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Cant beat Felco, Colin. In my opinion they are the best by far I always Cary a pair with me in to the garden and have done sine 1985 when I Decided to make it my job. My first boss Where I worked Told me to go and try out all the Falcos for sale in the store and pick a Pair( He Paid :)) I chose a Pair of 6 Sec's back then. I never Had a pair break on me in all them years since( If they need parts like a new blade its easy to order). But I do know I have lost some to the Compost bin!!!!!:cry:. I Now uses A Pair of 10s as I find them most comfortable with there swivel handle(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love my Draper .. Japanese .. After 20 years, the middle bit gone, so semi-retired.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a pair of Fiskars--easy to sharpen, hold an edge well, and are comfortable to the hand. They also have orange handles, which makes them easier to find when I negligently lay them down!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Orange or yellow or a bell needed for my secateurs and keys .. or even credit cards. My whole life is spent looking for those.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Felco the best but I am so heavy handed that secateurs last only a year or two.
So cheapos and replaced every year for me. :)
I break the unbreakable....spade, fork, secateurs, loppers, trowels....they all end up broken :(

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks everyone for your replies. (y)

I'll go with Felco 2. Bron and I have used many cheaper brands of secateurs through the years from £5 to around £15 but these work out the most expensive long term as they quickly fail. Until now I hadn't realized the difference between anvil and bypass secateurs; I know what both types are but never considered the anvil type tends to crush whatever is being cut.

Not finding your credit card might be a good thing alp but I understand what you mean. I seem to spend a lifetime at traffic lights; I can follow a long string of vehicles only to be confronted with amber then red; by the time the lights turn green and I adhere to the prevailing speed limit I have a whole load of vehicles riding my rear bumper; even out walking as I approach traffic lights they turn to red; I must be giving off a powerful magnetic field?

Oh dear Verdun; what's this about you breaking everything; you need me to make things for you; a bit of 1" thick steel plate and a few RSJ's will take a bit of breaking. :LOL:

My oil can is a very useful bit of kit; how many actually oil the tools they are using? I believe you oil the wooden handles on your garden tools alp so top marks to you. About this time every year I service my petrol powered gardening machines; lawn mower; chain saw and hedge trimmer; I also oil tools which are being stored over winter then they are ready to go; a bit of TLC works every time.

I'll now order the Felco 2 secateurs before enjoying digging roots out at the top of the garden; I want to make the most of this milder weather whilst it lasts.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha Colin
An old man living nearby made me an unbreakable trowel.....nice and big and heavy. Wonderful and I had it for years until......I broke it.
I tend to mis use tools Colin.....cutting wire with secateurs, using spades, forks and trowels as levers. Always too much haste :(

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Reminds me of the Titanic Verdun. ;)

What you need to use as a lever is my 5' long by 1.25" dia crow bar; I've all on to lift it let alone bend it; we used these crow bars a lot in the pit for moving heavy machinery around; I've got lighter wrecking bars though that I have bent. :(

I've ordered the Felco 2 secateurs and am looking forward to receiving them.

Kind regards, Colin

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, you asked, how many actually oil the tools they are using? My father was a fanatical oiler and I learned to oil everything from hedge clips to hoes from him. We don't have much down-time gardening here in Texas, but at least twice a year I haul out every tool, clean and sharpen, and then give it a light coating of oil. I'm still using a shovel and a hoe that my grandfather had, and my favorite digging fork was my daddy's. The wooden handles get a light coating of linseed oil once a year. I dislike fiberglass handles, but sometimes that is all that is available.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good on you marlingardener for taking such care of your tools; a drop of oil makes a tremendous difference and a wipe over with an oil rag makes them sparkle. :)

I've restored old cast iron machines many having grease nipples but I doubt these have ever been greased since the day the machine left the factory.

Fiberglass or plastic handles; YUKKKK. :(

My favourite spade came with the bungalow when we bought the bungalow 30 years ago; it's a small spade possibly a ladies but its a beauty in fact I'm currently using it a lot. A bow saw also came with the bungalow and although I bought a new bow saw I always use the old one which I've sharpened a number of times over the years giving more "set" to the teeth; its still on its original blade and has seen a lot of use. The new bow saw easily jams in the kerf; one day I'll get around to adding a bit more set.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do have a crowbar Colin and often use it but I try to take shortcuts :(
Enjoy,your felco secateurs.....they are the best:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm too nervous to buy really good secataurs. I tend to just pop them down and get distracted and off I go on my merry way. I have found secataurs after a storm hanging on a little branch on a tree.:eek:. Also I'm pretty slack at the cleaning.bit. I seem to remember to clean them each time with metholated spirits and i set that up witn a rag in my garden shed but so often I leave them on my way verandah, just to gave a cuppa mind. I must try because my methods mean for secataurs that don't work properly and that is very frustrating :confused: but i only have myself to blame:D

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Verdun; I'm looking forward to receiving the secateurs either Friday or Monday; they will get a lot of use and I think first job will be to attack English Ivy that has grown smothering a very big Hawthorn tree and the ivy has formed a huge flowering crown by what I can see of it; I'll remove as much as I can from the ground up to as far as I can reach.

Oh dear Deborahjane what a dilemma for you; I can understand your reluctance in buying top quality secateurs if you are prone to leaving them lying around but as you say the cheaper secateurs are very frustrating to use; I'm frustrated with our cheap secateurs and this is the reason I now want the best; Bron and I have about four pair of secateurs between us but all four are poor quality so now is the time to do something about it. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question