Newbie needs help front porch landscaping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good call on the trench! I ripped the timbers out and dug a trench around both flower beds, I still need to fix the curve a little bit today but I ran out of sunlight last night

I also could not resist and added 2 more hydrangeas (pinky winky), 2 brazen raisins and 2 berry timeless coral bells. Super happy with the finished product!! Thanks for your help!!!! Now I need to do something around my mailbox :)

Holy cow that looks great! Very nice job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Very nice @logicsound ! I don't know that you need to edge your beds because they look very nice as they are, but I thought I would share with you what I did. I placed brick pavers as an edging for my flower bed. Easy to mow up to, keeps the mulch in place and it keeps the grass from creeping into the bed.
View attachment 13982
That looks great!!

Attached is the latest pic, we painted the shutters and door to get by until we get the siding and new door.

I also wanted to get thoughts on what to do with this tree I have next to the driveway (see pic), I am thinking I can do a trench like the flower gardens and make it a half-moon shape so it is straight with the driveway but not sure if I can put hostas or other shade plants under there...Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The freshly painted door and shutters are a great improvement!
That bed under the tree needs re-forming. That itty bitty strip of grass between the sidewalk and the tree bed must be a pain to mow, and doesn't really add anything to the overall look.
Hostas under the tree--I don't know. Hostas like moist, and that tree is going to suck up a lot of water and keep that bed pretty dry, even with mulch. Take a look at saxifrage, succulents like sedum, phlox subulata, or (my choice) vinca minor. All of these get by with very little water.

Ask a Question