Newbie needs help front porch landscaping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Would like to add some color and update the landscaping on the house we recently purchased. I am very clueless when it comes to picking out bushes, flowers and plants. I did make a trip to the nursery but became overwhelmed within about 2mins..

I want to add color and to replace the big bushes. I do enjoy watering my other outdoor plants so the landscaping does not have to be super low maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!! and don't laugh at the ugly house!! Paint and new siding is next! :)

(Located in SE Michigan.)

front.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That is not an ugly house--it's just that the landscaping lacks, shall we say, umph? I agree--get rid of the conical shrubs.
I love roses, and there are several shrub roses that would do well for you in that spot--however, they do lose their leaves in winter. If you'd like an open shrub that has winter interest, there is red-twig dogwood that is attractive all year-round.
One trip to a nursery is overwhelming. Go back several times, and the plants that "call" to you will become evident. Ask the nursery owner or a worker there about the plant and what it needs. You could even take a photo of your front bed and get their suggestions. They want to establish you as a return customer, so are unlikely to try to sell you a bum plant.
Just a suggestion, and you didn't ask, but have you considered replacing that front door?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply! Yes I think I want something that has winter interest, I am looking at the dogwoods now.

I did talk to someone at the nursery and she did point me to the "full sun" area and said I could pick what I wanted and that was about it... Will have to go back and hopefully get someone more helpful or explain better that I need HELP!.

Any ideas for perennial color in the front or between hostas? I am just guessing here but do many people also plant annuals in the front to add more color? and just replant every spring?

YES the door will be getting replaced and the shutters!!. you should have seen the inside,,,was like moving into my great grandma's house :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome and 'grats on the new house! Looks to be a solid thing built when they were built a bit better; just needs some updating. :) Agree with @marlingardener. I'm in Michigan too and if you're near the wojos greenhouse in either Lake Orion, Davison or Ortonville I highly recommend. They hire super-friendly plant geeks and they have classes too. Oh and they welcome dogs!

Anyway yes those clunky evergreens must go. If you have full sun and want winter interest, some ornamental grasses could be nice, interspersed with some lower, heftier perennials. Can't go wrong with roses either.

I plant more perennials every year and have hostas and ferns (lots of shade trees) but can't resist perennials in spring! I have them in pots out front and on the back deck, hanging, and use them to fill in bare spots in the perennial or vegetable beds. I don't buy the expensive pre-filled planters. I pick up used and interesting containers and buy the plants seperately. Much cheaper that way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hostas usually thrive in shade/partial shade. If this is the condition you have in front of your house, look at astilbes (which come in several colors), Solomon's Seal (white, but interesting foliage and shape), hydrangeas, and Bleeding Heart. These are just a few suggestions.
Yes, people do put annuals out for color (zinnias, marigolds, petunias, pansies) and replant each spring.
About that nursery--if you don't find a more helpful person, go to another nursery. I think you are a budding gardener (sorry, pun intended) and you need a long-term relationship with a nursery.
When we moved here we had great land, over-run with weeds and cacti and the house was a disaster (my great grandma would have thrown her hands into the air and called an exorcist). After two years it was all tamed and whipped into livable shape. Have faith, strength, and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you. They have great front doors!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Remove the bushes and the iris, go with low growing bushes that stay green all year, The hostas look great and you can find other ones with colored leaves that will grow in the full sun. I like they looks of your new home and wouldn't doing thing to the out side other than replacing the front door

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!! Will look at all the suggestions, also going to try a new nursery tomorrow, the last one was fine but pretty sure it was just kids working there for the summer.

About the house..what you cant see is the shutters, poles and door are PEACH!! Thinking about going with a beige or something similar.

I like the idea of low growing bushes (any ideas on which ones? ) in the back maybe with some grasses and then mixing color in between , found this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/49/21/96/492196a7dd9c605fb3cf4b4347f2c3cf.jpg ...a little much for me but I think I will take some ideas from it. Should be starting this week so will post updates soon. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I asked a similar question last week (about low-growing bush suggestions) and someone suggested dappled willow. Google it - looks like it will provide color all season long and won't get tall if pruned annually.

We will be waiting for updates and pics. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK made some progress, Still need to make another trip because I did not have enough room but I think I have a plan. I went with Hydrangea Nikko Blue mop-heads in the back (thanks @marlingardener ), only have 2 for now but probably going to add 4 more this afternoon. I pulled a lot of the iris out and put 1 knock out rose bush on each side, I also filled in with red hot and rhea salvia's ( I am not sure about these but they were 4 bucks for a whole tray)

I think now I am going to either fill in the back with more Hydrangeas or maybe add a few more and some other plants on the end. I also want to add some more color in between the hostas and then something in the front and sides for a border, maybe something like snow in summer but still need to research. What do you think? Any more great ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You know, for a beginning gardener, you are approaching PhD. status! That looks great--nice mix of foliage textures, good color, and while it is tidy it isn't boring.
Why not leave it alone for the rest of the season? It looks fantastic now, and as the plants grow you may not want to add more hydrangeas since they can get pretty wide. The salvias you have are annuals (that's why they came in a tray--perennials come in quart or gallon containers usually).
If you leave the grass/bed margin as it is, it will be easier to maintain. Edging plants like snow in summer tend to creep over edges and you have grass growing among the plants.
If you want something at the end of the flowerbed, make sure it will stay within bounds. You don't want a plant flopping onto your porch floor, nor making it hard to mow that edge. Something vertical and fairly skinny would be good, I think.
Again, your flowerbed looks fantastic--your neighbors must be thrilled, or eaten up with envy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks!! Yea I am having trouble deciding on how to edge the landscape, I used landscape timbers on my other flower bed in front and was going to add to this one and stain eventually when they dry but I don't think I like the look. Thinking about taking them out (wife wants to kill me! as I do stuff over and over until I like it...). See pic for what I am talking about with the timbers.

I like the clean look of just having the mulch or flowers meet the grass or sidewalk but its hard to keep tidy. Thinking maybe rocks or pavers but not sure of I have the cash, have not priced it our yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Personally I'm not a fan of landscape timbers--too rigid and don't look "natural". Grass thinks rocks or pavers are an obstacle course it must conquer, and usually does.
Our flowerbeds have curves, so any kind of edging would be difficult. We simply dig a 6" trench around the bed and occasionally pour a little vinegar on encroaching grass. The edges stay clean and other than the initial work of digging you don't have installation of an edging. You will need a trenching shovel (long narrow blade) but you'll likely need one anyway!

Attachments

• Front Bed 2.jpg
    Front Bed 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good call on the trench! I ripped the timbers out and dug a trench around both flower beds, I still need to fix the curve a little bit today but I ran out of sunlight last night

I also could not resist and added 2 more hydrangeas (pinky winky), 2 brazen raisins and 2 berry timeless coral bells. Super happy with the finished product!! Thanks for your help!!!! Now I need to do something around my mailbox :)

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 277

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice @logicsound ! I don't know that you need to edge your beds because they look very nice as they are, but I thought I would share with you what I did. I placed brick pavers as an edging for my flower bed. Easy to mow up to, keeps the mulch in place and it keeps the grass from creeping into the bed.
2016-6-15 back of pond (2).JPG

Ask a Question