Mushrooms in my lawn...

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Troy I didn't know about the mushrooms just being the fruit so I thank you for that good update. I chuckled really hard at your metaphor too. Even if I tried I couldn't come up with a line like, "Trying to get rid of mushrooms by picking them is like trying to get rid of an orchard by picking the apples." That was just totally awesome. I understand mushrooms a little bit better now.:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
off the top of my head I'd say they are common ink caps. I love Fungi's So find it fascinating hearing the lengths people go to get rid of them LOl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think some people just associate fungi with things unsanitary or even dirty and that's why they try so hard to get rid of them when they pop up around the home and garden. I was an adult before i realized they were good things, except the poisonous kinds, of course. I don't mind them at all. Unless I'm mowing or weeding and I get rid of them through clean-up, I just usually leave them alone.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think people see the mushrooms and think the are poisonous and want them gone so that no one gets sick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
years ago.... Most family's grow up knowing about, and picking theses strange plants. But most people nowadays, know vary little about them & like Pat said People theses days think they are poisonous and want them gone so that no one gets sick My hole garden is designed to encourage Mushrooms Of all types including the odd nasty's like Amanita muscaria (fly agaric) they are a fantastic looking thing's but what I'm really trying to encourage is the edible mushrooms like blewits & Puffballs, Morels... Etc.. Still waiting to find my first Truffle In my garden mind & I'll probably never get one:(!!!!!All my flower beds are held together with logs of oak, Scots pine, Beach, Ash, willow, Birch Elm, And just about every Wood that grows. As it decays in my garden I get Mushrooms, Ferns, Mosses plus they are Home to so many, insects from wood lice to beetles & lizards. the birds feed of them so I get more birds & when the wood is rotten I have the best compost You can wish for, But all the time fungi are about in my garden & I Pick them food often. Having said all this. I don't profess to be an expert. I have a half a dozen books on the subject and if I see a fungi I'm interested in, I look it up in my books. If I don't know what it is or I'm not 100% I just say hello and goodbye But never kick them they are all apart of nature & I'm a big fan that (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would be way too nervous to try and pick my own mushrooms due to how poisonous some of them can be. I do not have a single mushroom in my yard, but my parents yard is the perfect breeding ground for them. They even get these really strange red capped ones with white spots. I will post a picture next time I make it up there see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I'm not sure @djordjem87 what you're trying to do with the mushrooms but I'm curious my friend. What struck me was that you are rearranging your whole garden for this. But you do notice how long the mushrooms take to grow back? I find that funny also. You can't put a time on them growing because they just pop up overnight, hang out for a few days and then die. Don't be surprised if they grow in a new spot. Mushrooms are funny things. Keep us posted and tell us how it works out.
It has been a while since i have seen those in my garden. I know all of this but funny enough they showed only in that spot. I have no idea why but i though i saw one few months ago underneath the thing i put there. It was dark and my golden retriever was outside to do whatever he needed to do and i have no doubts he ate those. He eats wood and rubber :) He already ate those once we had more and we consulted the vet who told us it was ok. So maybe he is dealing with our problem. I also have several cats roaming in the yard but i doubt they eat mushrooms.

Ask a Question