Mushrooms in my lawn...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all!

Over the past few weeks I've had a small area where quite a few mushrooms have been popping up. This isn't an area with drainage problems, and we have had just a ton of rain over this time period. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Or do I just deal with them? To view some picture, go to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yfpjvcqsudhrahx/AACaqCw3AuULKWIAtxT50U6ca?dl=0.

Thanks!!!
You don't have to do anything. They will disappear in a day or two. They are a sign of healthy soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our mango tree which was felled by the typhoon last year is being infested with mushrooms. What we do is scrape the mushroom but we are careful not to harm the bark of the mango tree since it is still alive and, in fact, bore 2 good fruits this year. About every week, we scrape the mushroom and when the rains would cease, the mushroom will naturally dry to death.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After the rain, we also get plenty of different mushrooms like your in our lawn, but since I have a dog, I just removed them because the dog ate them, and got sick. I think mushrooms are fascinating to see, and that Chuck is right, it is a sign of healthy soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
After the rain, we also get plenty of different mushrooms like your in our lawn, but since I have a dog, I just removed them because the dog ate them, and got sick. I think mushrooms are fascinating to see, and that Chuck is right, it is a sign of healthy soil.

Oh, it's good that your dog didn't die. There are poisonous mushroom and you have to be very careful with your dog. You have on the lookout for mushroom growth and clean it up at once. Another poisonous to dogs are the toads with their warty backs. They secrete venom from their skin when attacked so dogs should not come near toads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, it's good that your dog didn't die. There are poisonous mushroom and you have to be very careful with your dog. You have on the lookout for mushroom growth and clean it up at once. Another poisonous to dogs are the toads with their warty backs. They secrete venom from their skin when attacked so dogs should not come near toads.

My dog is only one year old, and anything and everything went into his mouth. He omitted for three days with just white stuffs. I made him rice and chicken with ginger porridge and his tummy was better. Now, I took out all the mushrooms as I see them.

Luckily, we live in the city and far from the water so there are no toads. Good to know, thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I get quite a few 'shrooms popping up and just let them be...they don't last long and when they degrade they probably enrich the soil even more.

However I have a baby puppy and a recent crop of mushrooms sprouted up last week. They only lasted a few days but since he tends to try eating everything he can, I made sure he stayed away from them. He is still enough of a baby that he's not allowed outside without vigilant supervision anyway.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Mushrooms grow in the most healthy soil. You should be well comforted knowing you have a healthy lawn since you have them popping up everywhere. They should be gone before you know it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I get quite a few 'shrooms popping up and just let them be...they don't last long and when they degrade they probably enrich the soil even more.

However I have a baby puppy and a recent crop of mushrooms sprouted up last week. They only lasted a few days but since he tends to try eating everything he can, I made sure he stayed away from them. He is still enough of a baby that he's not allowed outside without vigilant supervision anyway.

You have to train your puppy for the proper behavior. It is all right to smell because dogs have the natural instinct to smell things. But eating is another matter. It is easy to teach your dog not to eat by reprimanding with a loud voice. Our dogs are trained so when the go out the yard, they don't disturb whatever they see there. What they look our for are cats and mice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I had a couple sporuting up in my lawn the other day actually, interesting to see as I don't usually get them! :) Was wondering whether to remove them as I have two dogs, but so far they I haven't seen them trying to eat them and they haven't been sick so I'm guessing they haven't eaten them :) Good to know its the sign of a healthy lawn though!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing needs to be done to those mushrooms, as said before. Nothing at all. Just a few days and they will dry up and disappear. It is really true that the growth of mushrooms is a good sign. It says the soil is quite healthy. Although they're fungi, they're very particular about where they grow. They tend to love the right amount of moisture in nutrient rich areas. Don't get tempted to eat those though. They might be poisonous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I have the same problem. My dog even ate some of the mushrooms. I tired to just take them from the ground but that worked in a short period of time. Interestingly enough they always appear at the same spot. I did not even want to ask about some chemicals because i do not like them and i have a curious dog and a three year old nephew. So what i did was rearranging the lawn a bit. On that spot where fungus appeared i put a nylon in a circle shape. Then, on the nylon i put some white pebbles to cover it. After that a found some nice white rocks in the nearby river and made a circle on the edge of nylon/pebbles surface. On the pebbles i put some nice old rustic clay jar with some decorative flowers inside. I tried to arranged it so the jar is centred and of course before all that i had had removed all of the mushrooms. It has been several months and no traces of the fungus appeared yet. I will take some photos if you want but i think you get the picture. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure @djordjem87 what you're trying to do with the mushrooms but I'm curious my friend. What struck me was that you are rearranging your whole garden for this. But you do notice how long the mushrooms take to grow back? I find that funny also. You can't put a time on them growing because they just pop up overnight, hang out for a few days and then die. Don't be surprised if they grow in a new spot. Mushrooms are funny things. Keep us posted and tell us how it works out.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You guys do know that mushrooms are just the 'fruit'?
They grow from mycelium which are white thread-like things that feed on dead organic matter so to stop the mushrooms from returning you would need to kill the mycelium. Trying to get rid of mushrooms by picking them is like trying to get rid of an orchard by picking the apples :)

My dog is only one year old, and anything and everything went into his mouth. He omitted for three days with just white stuffs. I made him rice and chicken with ginger porridge and his tummy was better. Now, I took out all the mushrooms as I see them.

I'm sorry your dog got sick IcyBC and glad to hear he's OK but I love your remedy. Chicken and rice with ginger porridge, yes please!

Ask a Question