196.9 KB · Views: 380

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could be agaricus! But whatever you do, don't eat them unless classified by qualified people.

plischke_agaricus_macrosporus.jpg

Root above is flat and this one is edible.

There are things you need to look out for. For example, is the root area bulbous?

Bulbous could be poisonous!

How the gill separates from the stalk. I am not 100% sure it is horse or agaricus mushroom as I can't see the root ball or the gill. Sometimes, you even have to check the colour of the spores by resting it on a white piece of paper. Different colours mean life and death. So only look!

Have a look here please.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
A little Impossible to Identify With just a Shot of the Cap. If you are Interested in mushrooms & want to Know More I'd Advise. Getting a Few Books, It Is the best way to research them & the only way to properly ID them Unless you live next door to a Mushroom Expert;). If Your worried about them for children. The Best advice would be to tell them not to Touch they will be gone in a few days anyway & Animals are much better at sniffing out an edible than we are so Don't worry about dogs(y). If its Edibles your after Learn about all the Poisonous Ones Like the Amanitas. If You would like some one here to identify for now we will nee. to see underside to have a chance:) but even then Its not Ideal to id just from a photo The final id has to be from the person with it in his or her hands in my mnd

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@openoffice I was a bit stupid and crazy for freebies. I did try a little bit and after that would say to myself, "Hey, I'm still here!"

But agaricus mushroom tastes foul. I do my amethyst deceiver though and would eat them as they grow in one specific corner in my garden.

I was almightily scared when I read this person's wife ate some and died of multiple organ failure and before you knew, the husband was holding hands with the late wife's niece! So joking apart, one has to be very careful.

I was very excited to see some Australian chuck some spore laded liquid into his garden and before you knew, he and his kids were screaming, "Look, there's one here! Oh, there are tons there!" Whoa! It's like manna from heavens!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Some years I do a lot of Picking(y)I Enjoy Mushroom Picking For Eating But I also Love looking but not touching Some Toad Stools like the fly agaric. They Are lovely to See But you would not want to eat them its a no no(Poison:eek:)........My Favourites for picking are morels if I can find them in march normally.....They are not the Best for flavour but are great for stuffing and Look Great on a Plate. St Georges are normally next on my list and taste great:) then Giant Puffballs from early summer as they also taste great and last ages as unlike a lot of wild mushrooms they have a good shelf life. I've picked Penny buns from mid summer before now(y) and they are great. then big harvest if I'm after a mushroom is around the fall and in to autumn and early winter. Oysters, Bluets ( one of my favourites but also a member of the Agarics so have to know them from to bad fungi ) Parisols need to be picked young as drumsticks, Chanterelles, Field Mushroom ................there are so many Chicken in the woods & Beef stacks I have not picked yet my self so but that's because one the beefsteak I see last time was so far up an oak I could not get it lol. And well the Chicken just got away:D

Before I started, I Collected books and spoke to People in person. I was pleased one day when I bumped in to John Wright from River cottage( A Good Tv Program in the UK that is also hosted by Hugh Feanley Whittingstall ........all there books are great but Johns mushroom is worth picking up for sure ....
51loCndRI5L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
A Good Pocked Book is a must to Keep in your bag, or for first having a go at Identifying them in the field & then A First class Encyclopaedia To read from back to front & before you learn About edibles make sure you know all the Bad boys. This Encylopaedia is great and will tell you everything much better than me nattering on ;) there are so many good books but as long as you can cross reference between books till you know what you are looking at its a great hobby that makes me for one walk passed the bagged up commercial tasteless supermarket Crap:D
1428949.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How do you eat giant puffballs please, Daren?

Mind you, I have never seen one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
How do you eat giant puffballs please, Daren?

Mind you, I have never seen one!
I Sue Flay mostly. First Pick when big but well before they start to go soft. they need to be firm. How can I describe............like a orange or banana kind of firm. Not soft lol its.... gone off by then and would do you more damage then good( better to leave them ones to spore).............No Bad Jokes;)...............anyway I Chop what I want then Heat a pan with Butter and Just a drop of Veg oil Or similar till it is sizzling but not burning & then throw the small slices or cubes in for about 3 min's That's it. eat on there own or with eggs or asparagus or chesses on toast(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds yummy! I wish we had some mushroom forage groups here.

Ask a Question