• bird.png
    bird.png
    275 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like this one, but we are located in California not Europe.
https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/common-magpie-pica-pica/bird-eating-butterfly
I think we have the same bird. It is only here from about mid June until fall. I think it is a Brown Crested Flycatcher and it is a voracious insect and caterpillar eater. I have seen one grab a hornworm off of a tomato plant that I had just rigorously inspected. I knew the worm was there but couldn't find him. This bird was at least 30 yards away, swooped down and grabbed the worm and flew off to a nearby tree limb and ate him. The reason I think its a flycatcher is its acrobatic flight while chasing a flying insect. I've never seen one lose the chase. One year I had 2 pair of them but normally just one pair. There are numerous varieties of this bird and they originate in Central America and Mexico. I saw one just this morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I think we have the same bird. It is only here from about mid June until fall. I think it is a Brown Crested Flycatcher and it is a voracious insect and caterpillar eater. I have seen one grab a hornworm off of a tomato plant that I had just rigorously inspected. I knew the worm was there but couldn't find him. This bird was at least 30 yards away, swooped down and grabbed the worm and flew off to a nearby tree limb and ate him. The reason I think its a flycatcher is its acrobatic flight while chasing a flying insect. I've never seen one lose the chase. One year I had 2 pair of them but normally just one pair. There are numerous varieties of this bird and they originate in Central America and Mexico. I saw one just this morning.

Thanks Chuck!

They look exactly the same shape. The only difference I can tell is the feather on the breast is white. They are definitely in the same family.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Crested_Flycatcher/id

Yes, they are very good at catching flying butterflies in the air! So glad they are visiting our backyard every day. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck!

They look exactly the same shape. The only difference I can tell is the feather on the breast is white. They are definitely in the same family.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Crested_Flycatcher/id

Yes, they are very good at catching flying butterflies in the air! So glad they are visiting our backyard every day. :)
On the pair I have here now the male (I suppose male) has a slight yellowish tint on it breast while the female (?) is off white. You have to be fairly close to see the difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
On the pair I have here now the male (I suppose male) has a slight yellowish tint on it breast while the female (?) is off white. You have to be fairly close to see the difference.

I see. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Tough picture, kind of looks like a Black Phoebe. They also like to top perch on pillars, posts and fences like that too. I'm always happy when I see one in the yard. Handsome little birds, common in California. They are fly catchers also.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black_Phoebe/overview
cary-black-phoebe-900w.jpg

Thanks Greenhorn! I think this is exact the bird in our backyard. Yes, they love to stand on the pillars.
"The Black Phoebe is a dapper flycatcher of the western U.S. with a sooty black body and crisp white belly."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This morning, I played the bird Birds Chirping on the website. Sounds exactly the same, and they were a little bit confused when playing. They gave the same singing to response.

Ask a Question