Mexico Earthquake

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...k&ll=14.89794250440897,-93.84521484999999&z=5

You ok @Beverly ?
1yikestkt.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Civil protection officials were checking for damage in Chiapas, but the quake was so powerful that frightened residents in Mexico City more than 1,000 km (650 miles) away fled apartment buildings, often in their pyjamas, and gathered in groups in the street.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-mexico-magnitude-8-mexico-city-a7935496.html

The earthquake was in Chiapas, and Beverly lives in Colima. I can't find how many miles apart they are, but here is the Google map with the two places shown:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Col...0033824619d615!2m2!1d-93.1292353!2d16.7569318

:unsure: @CrazyConure, are you on the move? You live in Miami Beach, don't you? My googling tells me that you (and 700,00 other residents in your county) are under mandatory evacuation orders!! :eek:

Wednesday evening, the county issued a mandatory evacuation order for Zones A and B – the two closest to the coast. The order goes into effective at 7 a.m. Thursday. ...(snip)... Zone A includes most of Coastal Miami-Dade including Key Biscayne, while Zone B includes Miami Beach, Miami’s Brickell Avenue neighborhood, more inland areas and other oceanfront cities. http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/06/miami-dade-opening-4-shelters-starting-tonight/

I was half-listening to CNN earlier, and an official from Florida (I didn't hear where -) said that if the residents choose not to leave - don't bother to call 911 for help - there won't be anyone there to answer the phone!! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Probably evacuated with no access to the internet, I'm sure theyll post as soon as they are able. All the same, keeping them in our prayers and hoping that their home is okay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello dear friends...here reporting from Colima Mexico. I am fine the earthquake was in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Tobasco. A big one 8.2. I am on the west side of the country and the earthquake occurred in the southwest near guatamala. I didn't feel a thing, was in the garden this morning enjoying a break in the September rains. I will take a look at the news reports, i believe there are tsumani warnings. Colima had an 8.2 in 2002 but not much activity since then. Now we need to hear from our Floridian friends about Irma.
girl uncertain.gif
Oh, looking at the map it looks like the center was in the Pacific Ocean, but very much south of here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Actually, looking at the maps, the earthquake epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean and was on an approx east/west fault so the shaking and subsequent damage went in that direction. If it had been on an approx north/south fault, it would have effected Colima but with i think little damage. When we lived in San Francisco I could tell by the the direction of the shaking what fault the temblor was on. If the shaking went north/south, it was the San Andreas fault and if it was on an east bay fault the shaking would move east west.

It sure would be nice to hear from some of the Floridians.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My thoughts are with those suffering the earthquake and the hurricanes right now. Losing everything, seeing everything destroyed and fearing yet another hurricane must be the stuff of nightmares for those people involved.
Hope the world responds generously.
Down here we have Shelter Box, a Cornish charity supporting in a practical way anywhere in the world where a disaster occurs. We Cornish are very proud of this charity and no doubt it will feature strongly in the current hurricane hit and earthquake affected areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Earthquakes can be really spooky, once I thought my sugar going down, slow tremor.

Door and windows if not held by stopper, will scare the shit out, it opens and closes by itself.

Hope everyone ok!

Ask a Question