Warm greetings from Colima, Mexico

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello gardeners. I am from the US living and gardening in tropical Colima, Mexico (USDA Zone 11) at the base of one of the world's most active volcanoes, 40 miles from the Pacific Ocean. I am retired, am an organic gardener, and have a garden that supports pollinators and butterflies with nectar plants and host plants (for the butterflies and moths), and am a confessed lover of caterpillars and other garden critters (except the leaf-cutter ants :rolleyes:). I am looking forward to meeting you all, talking dirt and many other things. Here is a photo by Tapiro of our volcano at night.

Volcan de Colima by Tapiro Dec 13 2015 9.30pm.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Beverly to the forum I'm sure your find plenty of dirt talk here. I for one have never seen a active volcano so am glade to be the first to say hi and welcome to someone that lives' so close to one. that volcano looks so cool! (Hot Dirt:barefoot:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:LOL::LOL:Hi Daren.. hot dirt indeed...no nasty nematodes in that dirt. Barefoot? Ooooh, i don't think so. Thanks for the welcome, we are very proud of our volcano here. Wired Magazine named it the most spectacular volcano in the world for 2015. The volcano generates its own lightning which is caused by volcanic particles rubbing together really fast when exiting the mountain. It's better than TV, that's for sure. You have a fine looking terrier there that i'm not sure i've seen before. What is that breed? Hope to see you on the forums. What is that smiley, 2nd row, second icon? It looks like poop or a cupcake, i can't decide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the welcome JB! I'm looking forward to taking a look at your Native Garden. I grow a lot of native plants too, the butterflies and other critters show a preference for wild natives, but when it comes down to it they will eat just about anything....except the caterpillars of course who are soooo fussy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
You mean :poop:?....that's poop :)although I am guessing as I have them all on one line;) my dog............. that's a wicker dog I made out of willow & then stuffed it with hydrangea flowers ............But hay this is nothing compared to having a volcano generates its own lightning! Here in England we just get Rain mostly with the odd rainbow, without the pot of gold. Maybe a little sunshine if its a really good day. So glade to have you on the forum ..........So what grows well in the shadow of a spectacular Volcano ? not that I'm likely to move anywhere near one but I could get quizzed on it and I'd love to know?.... I'd guess chillies and red hot poker:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you splinx...looks like you are a little bit south of where i am but same zone, what do you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes, that's the one. I've never seen that one before. It should have a little steam coming off the top. Well, your dog looks great and that you made the frame from wicker is amazing, an artistic gardener...really clever, with hydrangea flowers. Now that i know, i can see it, but it is such a small picture. Do you make other things from wicker, like furniture?

The volcano does not cast a shadow in our direction. I am on the south western side which is really nice because 99% of the time the ash from the eruptions goes directly northeast and our skies remain clear. The mountain does provide natural air conditioning for us generally in the late afternoon and also provides our water that flows naturally (without electricity) into our homes. The hot air from the city rises and the cool air from the mountain sinks to gives us cool afternoon breezes that are so lovely and appreciated. Chilies grow here of course and lots of fruit like pineapple, bananas, papaya, jack fruit, tons of limes, mangoes everywhere, maguay. Bougainvillea, Cosmos, Tithonia rotudifolia, aristolochia all grow wild here, a variety of asclepias species, and so many other things. We have a large variety of palms, jatropha, a magnificent large tree of hard wood called Perota, morning glories, antigonon leptopus and passiflora vines...egad what an impossible question to answer...there are pine and cedar trees higher up on the mountain. What grows here would fill a few volumes, i am sure. I have a small garden and grow Senecio confusus vine, Odontonema, Plumbago, Asclepias, Conoclinium, Jatropha multifida and integerrima, morning glories, Areca palms, zinnias, Dalechampia dioscoreifolia (from Costa Rica), Cestrum nocturnium, Murraya, Hibiscus, Ixora coccinea, Cosmos, Jasmine, Justicia, Cornutia grandifolia (from Costa Rica), parsley, and probably a few other things that i am not thinking of at the time. Amazingly enough i found many of the seeds i used to start these plants from vendors in the UK...very keen gardeners, the British. Many of these plants are grown in northern climes as annuals, here they are perennials. Okay, now commit them all to your memory:geek:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Welcome to the forums!

Wow, impressive picture of the Colima volcano! I live in Aguascalientes, MX. I'm happy to find other Mexicans in the forum :).

Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to the forum! I live in Mexico as well, to be more exact I live in the north of the country. The weather is nothing like colima, ours is more dry , but we can still grow things like avocados and lemons. Anyways, I just wanted to welcome you to this forum, I am sure you will enjoy your stay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Beverly. You certainly live in an unusual area.

If you hover your mouse over the smileys it will tell you what they are. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Beverly! Great to have you here :) That's very interesting about the volcano!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the welcome @fuumarumota, I too am happy to find more people who live in Mexico. And, thank you @Trellum! Do you know about each other?. Trellum is from the north. Plus there is @gata montes who lives in Nayarit. That makes 4 of us that i know about...truly an avalanche of people living in Mexico for a gardening site. This is very exciting to me because "gardening" has not historically been part of the culture here in Mexico. When many people here discover that i garden and actually do the work myself AND enjoy it, they wrinkle up their noses at me:). This is my generation (tercera edad). Now i think the younger generations here are beginning to involve themselves with gardening, fauna & flora, and nature-related activities and this is very exciting. Are you all familiar with CONABIO here? They are doing wonderful work to help preserve the fauna and flora of Mexico. Do you know i had to find seeds for many of my native plants in the UK and the US? Native plants from Mexico are highly sought after in many parts of the world except Mexico...up until recently when things are appearing to change. It makes me so happy because this country is magnificent and beautiful and grand and has much to offer the world. I spent 5 years hiking with friends to unknown parts of the country, to places people don't live and was astonished at the beauty i saw and see. Saludos calidos a todos de ustedes.

Ask a Question