Light frost; newly planted hydrangea hit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Hi folks, didn't know where to stick this question so I am asking it in GGT.

We got a light frost the other night. Temps hit 30F. I planted two small Endless Bloom (Bloomstruck) hydrangeas and they both got damaged by the frost. A larger one on the south side of the home (also planted this year) didn't get touched.

Anyhow, the top third leaves are clearly wilted/damaged. Will the plants come back and hopefully flower this year? Should I prune the damaged leaves (or wait for them to get brown and crispy before doing so)?

I was surprised to see the damage as I was told in the past that a light frost really doesn't affect perennial shrubs in the spring. Perhaps this applies to established plants?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'd do the wait and see. Plants can be very resilient.

That was one nasty night. One of my heaters ran out of fuel and I was sure I was going to lose some of my stuff before the wick was ready to light again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Same thing happened a few years ago to many of my perennials when we had an early June frost. What I was told was, as @CanadianLori said: Do nothing. Pruning will just stress the plants more. Wait a week or two and then only prune the leaves that are completely dead. The plants looked a bit ragged for a few weeks but recovered fully. Hopefully your hydrangeas will do the same!

Ask a Question