Is this what a normal seam in artificial turf looks like?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! i just had artificial turf installed and am kind of stuck looking at these seams in the grass. They did the S curve cut so as “not to catch the eye” but to me this does the opposite. Am i being too hard or critical about this? This is a brand new professional install. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5517.jpeg
    IMG_5517.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5519.jpeg
    IMG_5519.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5520.jpeg
    IMG_5520.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5518.jpeg
    IMG_5518.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5521.jpeg
    IMG_5521.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a reply from a gardener, rather than an interior decorator, I'm not sure you will welcome my reply.
The art of gardening is more about us growing our own grass as God gave it to us, rather than artificial rubbish.
Why use plastic grass with plastic trees and plastic flowers when we can achieve the real thing?
I don't think the birds and bees and worms etc will approve much either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As gardener that uses polymers in business, I would point out that the high temps you will soon experience will relax the hard seams.

Get a cheap laser thermometer to ensure you understand how hot those denser polymers are becoming as the sun rises in the sky if you have a pet or small child. The amount of solar energy you will experience is increased as the northern side of Earth tips to the sun and that process has only hit halfway recently. We can see 175f here at the 33rd latitude.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As gardener that uses polymers in business, I would point out that the high temps you will soon experience will relax the hard seams.

Get a cheap laser thermometer to ensure you understand how hot those denser polymers are becoming as the sun rises in the sky if you have a pet or small child. The amount of solar energy you will experience is increased as the northern side of Earth tips to the sun and that process has only hit halfway recently. We can see 175f here at the 33rd latitude.

Are you saying here just so I understand, are you saying that heat will make artificial grass seams better? Not sure if i agree with that but wanted to see if you wanted to clarify? If that were the case then why would people ever fuss or spend time on turf seams? Care to elaborate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Are you saying here just so I understand, are you saying that heat will make artificial grass seams better? Not sure if i agree with that but wanted to see if you wanted to clarify? If that were the case then why would people ever fuss or spend time on turf seams? Care to elaborate?
Sure.

Internet -"Van der Waals forces are weak electrostatic forces that attract neutral molecules to each other, depending on the distance between the molecules. They are named after Dutch physicist Johannes Diderik van der Waals, who first postulated them in 1873. Van der Waals forces are comparatively weak and therefore more susceptible to disturbance. They quickly vanish at longer distances between interacting molecules." These are the bonds that man made plastic materials rely upon to hold them together. It will be why the plastic grass is not only sensitive to heat energy but also why it will degrade eventually over time. UV light for example exhibits a capacity to shift electrical value from what one would consider the positive to the negative and back again. This action works against the man made bonds. We see it as a electrical short circuit and thus UV is considered a "burning" ray though its really not oxidizing anything.

Mankind thinks itself quite powerful. But any heavy industry or man made super engine simply pales to far less than 1 percent in the face of simple planetary scale energy. Our periodic chart is compiled of materials made from folding simple hydrogen in upon itself multiple ways with the mind blowing energy necessary to create every element listed.

Einstien and others have learned to unleash this planetary energy. It is simply not in artificial turf nor any polyester clothing or pvc lawn furniture anyone anywhere has ever purchased. What men make in their factories, as well conceived as it may be, will fail soon enough when placed outside in the radiation and weather.

Sorry if I lost you in all that. I think my idea was that the material edges would relax into itself due to the solar and ambient energy around it much like cooking fresh veggies relaxes them. Perhaps my idea could be called wilting?

Last edited:

Ask a Question