Anthurium - Is this normal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

This is my first time posting, and could use some help. I will say right off the bat, I have other small plant that is a vine. But I am far from an experienced plant person. But I did do some research on this guy, and for some reason it looks like I'm not doing a good job.

I got an Anthurium about a month ago. It appeared to be in good condition when I got it. A few days after I brought it home, I noticed a few brown spots on the leaves. Over the past few weeks, a few of the red flowers have died and there are more brown spots. One leaf has a yellow spot. The owner of the shop said to spray it once a day, although he wasn't clear on if I should spray the leaves or the soil (I'm guessing the leaves). But in all honesty, I did not do it because I read online that it is best to just water them about once a week. And to be careful not to over-water them. So I'll check the first inch/two inches of soil to see if it's dry. And it's on schedule in that I need to water it once a week. Given what I read online I'm perhaps a little sensitive to over-watering given what I read. I would be in trouble if I had to repot it due to messing up the roots.

I keep it out of direct sunlight (it's blocked by the couch), but the room in total does get a lot of sun. The temp is usually between 67 - 75 and is not near a vent. I'm not sure what else I'm missing or perhaps what I am seeing is normal behavior for the plant.

I'd like to clarify if I'm caring for it right and if the attached photos are indicative of over-watering or under-watering. Or perhaps not enough sun?

I appreciate any advice on what I'm potentially doing wrong.

Regards,

Santiago

Attachments

• IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3042.JPG
    IMG_3042.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting I have one the same but lilac I think the flowers just fade like that I just cut them off ,I had brown marks on leaves too so have cut them off ,have been spraying daily with water from the dehumidifier for about a week and it’s looking better, I read that they like warmth and humid.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, @Zenj - When cutting the flowers, do you cut below the flower towards the top of the stem or lower. As for the leaves, do you cut the entire leaf or just the portion that has the brown spots. I have to check when I get home, but a few of them have the brown spots. I feel like if I did the entire leaf their wouldn't be much left:) I will say that for some of the brown spots, they haven't progressed much since I first saw them upon brining the plant home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, @Zenj - When cutting the flowers, do you cut below the flower towards the top of the stem or lower. As for the leaves, do you cut the entire leaf or just the portion that has the brown spots. I have to check when I get home, but a few of them have the brown spots. I feel like if I did the entire leaf their wouldn't be much left:) I will say that for some of the brown spots, they haven't progressed much since I first saw them upon brining the plant home.
Hi
I cut the flower stems from the very bottom same with the leaves I will carry on with the misting and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
I cut the flower stems from the very bottom same with the leaves I will carry on with the misting and let you know how it goes.
How's the misting and everything going? Mine seemed to do okay for a little with the misting, but now more yellow and burnt leaves. I've moved it to a room that doesn't get any natural light in case that is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Still Misting leaves seem ok new ones starting to appear so hope it comes away better in summer when it arrives.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I've had some new ones. I've just set up a humidifier next to it. Going to look into plant food too. This guy is a little more work than I thought it would be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You should also double check the soil drainage for your Anthurium. Make certain the soil and container drain well and that the plant is not left to sit in a puddle. Let soil partly dry before the next irrigation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Marck,

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't consider that. I have been super light on the water after reading about rotting the roots. I just checked and there is a hole about an inch in diameter in the center. There is some type of plastic (or another material) I guess for keeping the soil from spilling out. If I touch the plastic through the drain hole, some soil comes out so I'm guessing it can drain, but that leads me to two questions:

1. When it comes to watering, should I be watering it enough so it begins coming out of the drain hole? I have not put enough in so far again due to concerns on rotting the roots. I'm confident it's not sitting in a puddle, but I'm beginning to think I've been a little too light on the water.

2. When you say irrigation, is that watering it or something else?

Plant food ordered, and I have my dehumidifier next to it on low (I don't want to over do it out of no where).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Santiago

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is best to water the intire soil column and allow some water to drain. If water never drains from a pot there will be both dry areas and overly wet areas. Neither will allow healthy root growth. Also salts will begin to accumulate in the soil.

Yes, 'irrigation' and 'watering' are synonymous.

Ask a Question