how well did your garden grow?

Reaction score
Well, this year I've mixed results from my garden. Starting on a positive note: my tomatoes (cherry and big beef) did really well as well as my bell peppers and jalepono ones as well. Lettuce did fantastic, so did my carrots and parsley flakes. I also have 4 pumpkins growing nicely. Pumpkins were my first time growing.
Unfortunately, while my onions came up, they didn't grow very big. They are still small. My zucchinis didn't fare as well as previous years. Cantelopes were nill. I had 5 plants and had 1 cantelope growing. It got to a certain size and then it stopped growing. This year, it has been on the cool side this summer and we've had a little more rain then usual. Not sure if that had a part in it or not. Oh, well. I'm already planning for next year.

Reaction score
Mixed results here as well. My tomatoes did so-so. My herbs, all except for my lavender and mint did well. The lavender and mint were in containers and I need to learn more about effective container gardening. My sugar baby watermelons, bell peppers, and hot peppers are O.K. I didn't get to devote the time I needed to tend my garden due to some other things that required my attention. Maybe next year. :unsure:

Reaction score
I have confess that I've pretty pleased with mine - as although I was initially a little concerned that not everything would do as well as normal - due to the fact that everything got off to a slightly later start because of some unusually strange weather - everything has grown and cropped in the same abundance as it would normally have done.

That is apart from my melons - which although they have been grown in exactly the same way and in the same conditions as they have been for the past ten years - for some reason - this year they just don't seem to want to grow beyond a certain size - very small - which is a bit of a disappointment - as I was hoping to grow some square watermelons this year and even though I planted more plants than normal in order to have some extra to experiment on - none as of yet have managed to grow to a size that would fill the mold enough to make them square - so alas its something that I will have to try again next year :D

Reaction score
Thoroughly disgusted with this year's results (upper Midwest, USA) Even my blueberries and blackberries did not produce anything! I have nothing to store for the winter.

Reaction score
Didn't grow anything this year, but last time I did things went pretty well! But gain, I was just growing ornamental things and not edibles. I plan to make the upgrade to edibles next time I get my hands on a garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I harvested a lot of tomatoes, strawberries, zucchinis, apples and pumpkins, so I'm happy. It wasn't the best summer though. I lost half of my miniature roses. It happened many weeks ago, but I still miss them very much and I feel so guilty:(

Reaction score
The winter was so harsh here, when my husband went back to the garden store to get something for the roses we bought last year, the owner was shocked. We had the only ones that survived! Our roses were planted on the east wall of the house, I guess that was the right place to be.

2 varieties of my tomatoes are doing well and are starting to be harvested this week. Third variety, in a different location, was struck by blight.

I have a new batch of broccoli I have started under lights and they are ready to transplant. I hope fall will be kinder. Leeks and onions look promising and I've replanted beans hoping there is enough time but as soon as I did the weather turned very cool again. Frustrating year.

Garlic did great at least!

Reaction score
I've had really good luck on my garden. This was my first year having a garden and before this I had never grown anything before. My husband and I moved into a new house we built and I really wanted to make it nice. I was very surprised!

Reaction score
Although summer is coming to the end, kids are heading back to school, and jacket weather will soon be upon us, it doesn’t mean that it is time to put your garden implements away. There are still plenty of plants and vegetables that can still be planted and garden prep to do to protect your landscape during the winter. So pull on those gloves and grab your trowel because here are some upcoming events and workshops to help your green thumb get a little greener.http://www.pksimpson.com.au

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Well I made a few mistakes here and there with the change from growing in an isolated garden to growing in a crowded, disease and pest infested allotment environment, and lost some of my yield to underestimating how damaging they could be, and using a poly-tunnel for the first time, I stocked it at the same time as my greenhouse, which was too early, and cost me a few plants, but still people are congratulating me on how much I've grown and how good it is, so, all-in-all, I'm pleased, but have learned a few lessons.

I've given a little, here and there, to all the growers who surround me, and they are hugely impressed with the flavour that food gets from the methods I use.

Thanks to Chuck for his advice, especially about molasses, it has improved one of my most powerful tools, (actively aerated compost tea) no end, and there have been occasions where other gardeners have seen stuff mushroom, leaving them cynical about the flavour, until they taste it.

I'm far from finished this year, and have sown lettuce, pak choi, komatsuna, spring cabbage and over-wintering onions in the past week or so, and will sow my over-wintered cauliflowers in a couple of weeks, garlic in October and my poly-tunnel is hoped to produce cool-weather crops throughout winter, after the semi-tropical plants have done their bit.

Reaction score
Unless we get an early frost I'm far from done too. It would just be easier if the temperature didn't swing so much every few days. The plants are so confused!

Tomatoes are going crazy, canning starts tomorrow :D

Reaction score
I had a real slow/cold start this year, but it ended up fairly well. I tried some new varieties of veggies this year because I am growing open pollinated and saving my own seed. I have always planted corn and green beans as our main crop, with several other things in smaller amounts.

We ended up canning 240 quarts of corn. We have about 50 quarts from our early green beans, with the main crop coming on in a week or two. I double cropped them in wide rows before I picked the first corn. I don't have a recent picture. The rows are almost 3' wide now.

D.jpg H.jpg

Reaction score
I had a modest garden this year but everything did pretty well! I planted tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, strawberries and squash. I'm a bit of a newbie so I planted things I'd have success with. Next year I plan on planting the same and trying some new fruits.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't plant this year, spring was so late coming I didn't think we would ever get warm in my area, it was a very cool summer for us. The few plants that I do have outside did do, I was very busy this year and did not have the time to devote to my garden.

Reaction score
We have had 113 cucumbers out of four plants, 54 jalapenos, and countless tomatoes. The tomatoes weren't as bountiful as they should have been because of bad weather and grasshoppers, but it was ok! Oh, and I only got two green peppers out of four plants. :(

Ask a Question