How many of you would ....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not sure this is appropriate, if not, I apologize and mods feel free to delete it.

I was just wondering, if marijuana was legal in your state, how many of you would grow it? It's quickly becoming a huge revenue stream in those states that allow it. It would be a great to supplement to your gardening budget!! Think of all the other things you could do in your garden with the income from growing pot.

I, for one, would go for it. I would love getting paid to indulge in my passion for growing things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know, I've thought about this a lot.

I sometimes wish I lived in a state where it was legal. That said, I'm not sure how it works in Colorado, but even though it is legal to possess personal use pot in Washington state, it is still illegal to grow it. I even think there are stiff restrictions on selling it.

People around the US are a little mislead by the "legalization" of pot thing.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't grow it to sell to buffer my budget, but I might keep a few plants for personal use. Hah.

I fully believe pot is far healthier than many prescription pain killers and definitely healthier than SSRI's. If there comes a time when I am ever in need of a real anti-depressant, or god-forbid, have to go through chemo, I will very seriously consider relocating to a marijuana friendly state.

Reaction score
I'd go for it as well, lol, Mostly for personal use, since I live with a health issue that requires it. I'm going to a place where it is legal to buy it and smoke it, but not grow it. I don't see myself smoking a lot of that stuff tho, not good at all for the lungs...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is legal to grow marijuana, I still don't dare growing it since my neighborhood is not so safe of a place for it. The drunks and the addicts would raid my property 24/7. Recently, someone was running from a police chase, and came right on my driveway to park his car, then shoot straight into my backyard. I looked outside to see my house were surrounded by police cars. Long story short, I told the police that I don't know the man and he doesn't live here. Can you imagine the madness if I have marijuana around?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Regardless of its legality, growing drugs is not my thing. Nothing against those who do, but that's not why I have a garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I do get paid for indulging my passion for growing things--vegetables to share, bouquets of flowers to take to the local nursing home, nipping out to the garden to get fresh greens for salad or herbs for seasoning dinner. There is a lot more to being paid for gardening than dollars.
I wouldn't grow "weed" for use nor for profit--I just am not into doing that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sure I would. I know lots of people who partake here and they are solid, hardworking individuals who would love little Christmas goodies for their occasional use. Alas it is not legal here either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It is legal to grow up to 15 plants in Washington state if you have a medical card for the need. I've been told it is not that hard to get a card. Otherwise you have to be licensed for commercial growing. I live in Washington but where I live it pretty much has to be hothouse grown anyway.

Did you know that 23 states have legalized medical marihuana and 9 other states are in process? If you really want to grow legally get that medical card.

Two years before the legalization here the Feds raided a few medical shops but never growers. Guess they have now found better things to do with their time. I imagine even if it was legalized Federally there would still be "dry" counties or states. Look at Texas and parts of the south that don't allow the sale of alcohol in some areas.

For me growing other herbs is my deal, but I am all for everyone being able to grow what they want. I grow opium poppies every year. They are really pretty. Legality??? I really donot care.:p They would have to raid quite a few gardens in the neighborhood.:whistle: Never thought of doing the work of harvesting though. Got enough to do:p
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Even if it is legalised the point would not be about how legal a drug could be but being freely available how many would be addicted to it. I would hesitate to go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd go for it. As far as I know, it's a pretty and unique looking plant. Also, it's always nice to try something new.
Unfortunately, growing marijuana is illegal in my country.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would grow it, not so much for use, but for the fact that it is a pretty neat plant and grows easily. Oddly enough, my mom, who was in her late 60's at the time, wondered what this plant was that had shot up amidst the other shrubbery. Asks my little brother, who was living at home at the time, if he knew anything about it and what it was? Of course he played dumb, or it may have been his efforts or throw aways that seeded the plant. Either way it grew in the backyard for several years and my mom, always said if she got caught, she would just tell them, she thought it was a cool plant.

As to the money making part of being a grower, if the profits were decent - I would grow and sell in a heart beat. One of the few things where the market will never end, only get better and better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If it is legal to grow marijuana, I still don't dare growing it since my neighborhood is not so safe of a place for it. The drunks and the addicts would raid my property 24/7.
I really hadn't thought about that aspect of it. I, too, wouldn't want the drug addicts pilfering through my garden. I guess you'd have to have someway of "hiding" it, but still allow it get lots of sun. Humm, something to think about.

Of course, living in Tennessee, there's no chance that it will ever be legal here, at least not in my lifetime.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I fully believe pot is far healthier than many prescription pain killers and definitely healthier than SSRI's. If there comes a time when I am ever in need of a real anti-depressant, or god-forbid, have to go through chemo, I will very seriously consider relocating to a marijuana friendly state.
I agree with you. Studies have shown that it's a lot less toxic and unhealthy than drinking and smoking, and yet those are perfectly legal in all states.

It also has some really good medicinal uses. It's a shame that most people have to illegally pbtain it, and then they really don't know what's in it.

I say, legalize it on a national level, regulate and test it to make sure it's safe and collect lots of taxes on it, like they do with alcohol and tobacco. A win-win for all concerned and a great way for the government to make more "revenue".

BTW - you say it's good for depression. I've been bipolar for most of my life, and have never heard this - I'll have to check with my doctor next time I go see her. The chemical anti-depressants have never worked, although I've been on dozens of them.

Last edited:

Ask a Question