How many of you would ....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would grow it, not so much for use, but for the fact that it is a pretty neat plant and grows easily. Oddly enough, my mom, who was in her late 60's at the time, wondered what this plant was that had shot up amidst the other shrubbery. Asks my little brother, who was living at home at the time, if he knew anything about it and what it was? Of course he played dumb, or it may have been his efforts or throw aways that seeded the plant. Either way it grew in the backyard for several years and my mom, always said if she got caught, she would just tell them, she thought it was a cool plant..

I have a similar story. My mo, who is an avid gardener, went to Hawaii and saw the marijuana plants and thought that they were pretty. So she somehow got her hands on a few seeds and brought them home. She planted them in her veggie garden and the thing grew like a weed (no pun intended). It got like 6 feet tall.

This was back in the '80s at the height of the war on drugs. We told her she had better get rid of it, that if the cops found it, they could confiscate her house. She said that if anyone found it, she would play dumb and say she thought it was a ming aralia, as they do look a little similar. We finally convinced her it wasn't worth the risk.

Ming Aralia
plant 1.jpg

Marijuana leaves
plant 2.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My mate planted one in the flowerbed of the local police station, it got quite big before they noticed it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would grow it just because it's a very useful plant. I'm not a smoker or anything but it looks nice and honestly there's other uses for marijuana aside from its medicinal properties. Hemp is the non THC variety cousin of marijuana and has so many uses it's unreal. It's a good food crop, has uses for rope, clothing, biofriendly plastics, insulation, paper and more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been told,that in the central an mid-western states that hemp grows wild,alongside the roads and train tracks,and looks just like mj,so much so that visitor's stop and look or pick :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been told,that in the central an mid-western states that hemp grows wild,alongside the roads and train tracks,and looks just like mj,so much so that visitor's stop and look or pick :)

Yup. They call it ditch weed but the government likes to throw money away trying to cut them down and burn them. The region used to grow hemp before all cannabis plants were considered illegal save for tiny amounts of hemp production that survived today.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would grow it just because it's a very useful plant. I'm not a smoker or anything but it looks nice and honestly there's other uses for marijuana aside from its medicinal properties. Hemp is the non THC variety cousin of marijuana and has so many uses it's unreal. It's a good food crop, has uses for rope, clothing, biofriendly plastics, insulation, paper and more.

Yep, a perfect food crop with loads of other uses that grows in the desert without needing water.

Yet our governments are more worried about recreational drugs than feeding the hungry. Makes you wonder :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yea, if all the farming wasn't subsidized or basically controlled by the Big Man here in N.C., the tabbaco farmer's could maybe switch to a more profitable crop,instead of cotton an soybeans .
and I'm talking about hemp,switchgrass and other experimental crops that would help our economy . mj i think is grown indoors (sorry I'm off subject)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mate planted one in the flowerbed of the local police station, it got quite big before they noticed it

I have to say, that really takes some really big balls! (sorry for the cursing, but I couldn't think of another word to express myself).

So, tell us, what is the law in the UK about marijuana? Are you having the same issues we are here in the states, with different municipalities trying to legalize it? Is it available for medicinal use?

I always wonder if the US is just being stubborn about legalizing it, and if we're the only ones who have this social stigma about it. With the movie "Reefer Madness", from 1938, we have a whole generation who thinks that if pot were legal, we'd all go crazy and start foaming at the mouth and kill everyone. What garbage, but what can you expect from a movie that was made as propaganda for the government agenda. If you haven't seen the film, it's worth a good laugh.

Here's a trailer for the movie:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was quite impressed with it too :D

Some folk want it legalised over in the UK, but I don't see it happening as its not a vote winner for any party.

Not sure about the law on possession, but I think the cops turn a blind eye to small amounts.

It would make sense to legalise and tax it, also it would take it out of the hands of dealers and let the cops concentrate on harder drugs.

You can get a license to grow medicinal hemp, but it's very strictly controlled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As far as substances goes...it's very tame. Alcohol has far more severe effects, caffeine overload nearly killed me and over the counter pain killers cause liver damage over time. Plus its uses make so much better than the alternatives out there. Might as well as let it be legal and let a new industry help the economy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
BTW - you say it's good for depression. I've been bipolar for most of my life, and have never heard this - I'll have to check with my doctor next time I go see her. The chemical anti-depressants have never worked, although I've been on dozens of them.

Don't take this as any sort of expert advice. I'm not sure about actual clinical depression. I had postpartum depression after 3 of my 4 kids, and prenatal depression in one pregnancy. All signs point to my "depression" being totally related to my hormones. I did take SSRI's for between 6 months and a year with my first two cases of PPD. In my 3rd case, I went a more holistic route (not marijuana, something legal) which was the best thing I've ever done.

All that said, I'm now 8 months postpartum from my last child. I battle PMS pretty fiercely, and I sincerely believe that though my mood swings are clearly hormonal, it doesn't take much in the way of medication to get me through those bad days. My "depression" very often looks more like anxiety and is accompanied by infrequent panic attacks. It isn't so much the down-in-the-dumps can't get out of bed type of depression. Honestly, a beer at 5 o'clock is pretty helpful right now, haha. I have a prescription (for a drug I apparently cannot name here) but refuse to take it as long as I'm breastfeeding. I wouldn't smoke pot right now either, but I often wonder if it is still safer than many prescription drugs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have honestly never thought about growing marijuana if it were to become legal in my state. My garden is just a personal one though I do share some of the vegetables with the neighbors. I don't personally smoke so it would not be useful for me personally. I do support growing the plant for personal, medical and other reasons. The plant is very versitile in how it can be used. It is a shame that it is illegal. In order to turn selling marijuana into a business though you would have to have a lot of plants and produce a lot of product. I imagine that a few companies will grow quickly, have huge warehouses of plants growing and become big leaders/competitors in the business. People just growing a couple of plants at home wouldn't really be able to make an actual business out of selling or distributing marijuana.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have honestly never thought about growing marijuana if it were to become legal in my state. My garden is just a personal one though I do share some of the vegetables with the neighbors. I don't personally smoke so it would not be useful for me personally. I do support growing the plant for personal, medical and other reasons. The plant is very versitile in how it can be used. It is a shame that it is illegal. In order to turn selling marijuana into a business though you would have to have a lot of plants and produce a lot of product. I imagine that a few companies will grow quickly, have huge warehouses of plants growing and become big leaders/competitors in the business. People just growing a couple of plants at home wouldn't really be able to make an actual business out of selling or distributing marijuana.
You're probably right. Even if big business didn't pop up ( which I'm sure it would), I imagine the licenses and fees to sell would be quite expensive and difficult to get. Government would make it hard on the small business (as they always do) and easy for the big guys (who are lining the politicians pockets). It's a shame, because this could actually be a great small business, which would be profitable. Oh well, another great idea down the drain. :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's legal under state law here in (WA) However we're not aloud to grow our own Mj plants it's still against state laws here as well as federal everywhere. We have to sign up for a growing and business licence in order to grow freely. If I could make a little grow room I would definitely be growing my own Grand Daddy Purp and White Widow plants. The lord knows I could sure use the extra coins. Well anyways happy growing too those of you who can legally grow. Cheers From WA.

Attachments

• 4c2b0a319ece355f5bf3b3effa254ce2.jpg
    4c2b0a319ece355f5bf3b3effa254ce2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 172

Ask a Question