What to plant in a wooded area of the NW Highlands?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a small wooded area to the back of my house (largely shady and exposed to the elements on the coast in the NW Highlands) and am wondering what to plant.

Ideally I am wanting as much interest as possible (with staggered flowering to give something throughout the year) with plants that will naturally spread; foxgloves and aquilegia were my first thoughts (these have already self seeded in my front and side garden over the last few years), wondering what else you might suggest?

Thank you in advance from a very novice gardening fan!

Aidan. :)

Garden.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Aidan, it's me again I'm afraid - I reckon the rest of them have gone to sleep :giggle: I expect being in the Highlands, your soil will be quite acid, and that would be worth checking - from anyone living in the area or by a fairly cheap test kit.
If it is acidic, I think I'd go for some nice tough rhododendrons and azaleas, as they would be easier to care for, and very colourful. I'd keep a strip of ground up by the wall in the front there for smaller perennials, as long as they are tough, to withstand the wind and cold during the cruel months. Always bear in mind though, which plants enjoy the conditions there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again and thank you again for your reply!

The soil is without doubt acidic, purely based on other things that we have in other parts of the garden and surrounding area.

We do actually have a rhododendron in that area already, it's right up the back and so unfortunately we do not even get to enjoy it when in flower - I am not positive, but I do seem to remember someone telling me that if you are near to a natural area you should avoid planting them... I would hate to upset the natural order!

It is a constant battle to find what will thrive here as so few things do - we are quite fortunate with our temperatures really; it is mostly the wind that leads to everything suffering...

Thanks again for your reply. :)

Aidan.

P.S. I see you are from Kent - my family originate from Westerham and I was born and raised in East Sussex myself; we have been here in The Highlands for 7 years now. Hello from a fellow Southerner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Aidan.

I've lived here in the Highlands (on the opposite coast to you) for nearly 8 years. Reared in Essex and spent 24 years on the Isle of Man before retiring here.

If you're on the north west coast I'm guessing you're not far from Ullapool? I suggest having a look around there to see what other gardens have growing in them, the climate being similar to your description.

A question for you. Do you have problems with deer? If so that will restrict what you plant because any they have a taste for they will demolish - I know from experience.

Ask a Question