Growing new plants from cuttings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some plants are easier to start from a cutting than other plants. Some will root in water, some can go directly in soil, and some have to be propagated through other means. Even when you choose plants that root from cuttings, there is no guarantee they will take it can be very challenging, but also very rewarding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I have been getting into growing new plants from cuttings, or at least attempting to. The easiest thing so far has been basil, which is kind of funny because a year ago I wasn't successful at even that. I just happened to have a sprig of basil in water indoors I'd been using to cook with over a few days, and I happened to glance down and notice it had started to develop roots.

I now have a bunch of cuttings from a variety of plants I am trying to root. Some are in water, some are in soil; with some I used rooting hormone, with some I used cinnamon, and some are just on their own. I've learned that humidity is a huge factor in the success of a cutting. Some plant pieces shriveled up immediately and some seem to be thriving.

I created a makeshift nursery outdoors (they don't do all that well inside) by wrapping a rescued plastic shelf unit in plastic. Of course now I need more pots and soil, but what else is new?

What sorts of plants have you grown from cuttings? Did you use rooting hormone? Which have you started with just water?
I have grown Christmas cactus and ivy easily from cuttings and my mom has grown roses from cuttings. It's a fun and inexpensive way to garden!
Recently I have been getting into growing new plants from cuttings, or at least attempting to. The easiest thing so far has been basil, which is kind of funny because a year ago I wasn't successful at even that. I just happened to have a sprig of basil in water indoors I'd been using to cook with over a few days, and I happened to glance down and notice it had started to develop roots.

I now have a bunch of cuttings from a variety of plants I am trying to root. Some are in water, some are in soil; with some I used rooting hormone, with some I used cinnamon, and some are just on their own. I've learned that humidity is a huge factor in the success of a cutting. Some plant pieces shriveled up immediately and some seem to be thriving.

I created a makeshift nursery outdoors (they don't do all that well inside) by wrapping a rescued plastic shelf unit in plastic. Of course now I need more pots and soil, but what else is new?

What sorts of plants have you grown from cuttings? Did you use rooting hormone? Which have you started with just water?
I have grown Christmas cactus and ivy from cuttings and they grew really well with nothing added. My mom did the same with roses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have grown Christmas cactus and ivy easily from cuttings and my mom has grown roses from cuttings. It's a fun and inexpensive way to garden!

I have grown Christmas cactus and ivy from cuttings and they grew really well with nothing added. My mom did the same with roses.

I've gotten much better at it; I can't even count what I have grown from cuttings since this discussion was posted, but I have some roses I started this past summer that I'm quite pleased with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's super cool you grew roses from cuttings too! How do you start a rose cutting? Do you put the cutting in water first to grow some roots and then plant it in the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's super cool you grew roses from cuttings too! How do you start a rose cutting? Do you put the cutting in water first to grow some roots and then plant it in the soil?

When I pruned them back in the summer I saved a few pieces and just stuck them directly in soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's amazing how simple it is. It was the same thing with the Christmas cactus and the ivy. I just cut off a piece and stuck it in the soil and it grew like crazy!

Ask a Question