Growing Plants in Tunnels

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I recently watched a documentary on TV on how farmers plant spices in underground tunnels in London. Has anyone ever tried that? That is meant to improve food security but I don't think that it is an easy job. I also learned about how to make small gardens on roof tops as farmers do in Egypt. Anyone who has ever tried these farming techniques?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I'm new to these forums and was interested in you topic about growing in under ground tunnels. I haven't heard of it and neither have I seen a doco on it but will be most interested to hear from others who know about it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No clue, got a link? Security from what, for what reason?

OK I just googled and that's pretty interesting! Having internet issues so on my mobile device and don't know how to post a link...security from weather, allows for year 'round gardening, much more environmentally friendly and saves resources. If someone smarter than me can figure out how to post a link that would be helpful. :)

(Or I suppose I could take my own advice and Google how to copy and paste on an android device!) :p

My puppy is teething and ate the modem connector thingie right off the wall. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
In Metro Manila's main thoroughfare called EDSA, there are several underpass, about 100 meters long. In that tunnel-like area, there is a vertical garden which holds plants in plastic pots. But unlike a tunnel with zero sunlight, that area in the underpass gets small sunlight. The plants look good and thriving in those plastic pots. What a nice decoration for the busy avenue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, digging up a tunnel sounds like too much work to me. I don't think I'll ever do this. Also, plants need fresh air and sunshine to grow healthy.
As for gardens on rooftops, many people in Venice have them. They're beautiful:)

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I can see why they would have roof top gardens in venice as there is no ground. I didn't see any when I was there. Wasn't interested in gardening back then. But I wonder how they get on with the salt air?

Ask a Question