Growing new plants from cuttings

Reaction score
I grew most of my plants from cuttings, i tried with basil, but I was never successful, I tried with other ornamentals tho and I did great. I actually grew a lot kalanchoes from cuttings!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Claudine, you haven't had any luck in propagating florist roses because they are hybrids, and the flowering part is grafted onto a sturdy root stock. Don't worry about it--it isn't your fault, it's the rose type!
If you want to propagate a rose, get one that is "antique" or "own root" and you'll soon have more roses than you know what to do with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Although I also love experimenting and always find propagating my plants this way great fun and very rewarding too...

Oh nearly forgot - most cuttings take much better in a sheltered position outdoors rather than indoors - as its easier to maintain their required moisture and light levels in their natural environment.

I've finally learned at least that much, lol! I think one of my rose cuttings is just the perfect balance of "mature" softwood. I left the red tip on it and it seems to be doing the best of all the stickings. It's in the makeshift nursery outdoors. The passion flower cuttings are already starting to put out roots, but some of the other ones indoors sitting in water are starting to wilt and wither. So far the parsley has been a flop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew most of my plants from cuttings, i tried with basil, but I was never successful, I tried with other ornamentals tho and I did great. I actually grew a lot kalanchoes from cuttings!

Oh, my gosh, I have a kalanchoe that has taken hold by a storage building in the yard - what a survivor! I had my mom's plants for a while after the storm, and the parent to these plants died off long ago. Not sure how they found their way to where they are, but I've pulled them up and had them come back more than once!

10606362_10204336264584429_8618888918242449794_n.jpg

Reaction score
I've finally learned at least that much, lol

In that case - silly me for thinking that when you said that you were having trouble with Hardwood vs Softwood cuttings - you meant exactly that - as it is of course the reason why I had thought - that you might have found it helpful to know when the optimal time for taking those cuttings was - especially as taking the cuttings at the right time of year is generally the key to get them to root successfully :)

Reaction score
The most successful plant I have grown using cuttings is the Zigzag plant. It is so easy to propagate. All you need is a moist soil. My mom used to surround our yard with a long hedge of Zigzag plants. This plant is low-maintenance. It only needs regular trimming as it grows quite fast especially during the rainy season.
mOYo5PW.jpg

Another easy plant cutting to propagate is the Bougainvillea. These flowers are also available in various colors. You can even get a cutting for free. Just ask a friendly gardener who grows bougainvilleas and ask if you could have a piece of cutting especially during trimming times.

Bougainvillea-on-Fence.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, my gosh, I have a kalanchoe that has taken hold by a storage building in the yard - what a survivor! I had my mom's plants for a while after the storm, and the parent to these plants died off long ago. Not sure how they found their way to where they are, but I've pulled them up and had them come back more than once!

10606362_10204336264584429_8618888918242449794_n.jpg

Yeah, I have done the same with kalanchoes, sadly same have already died due the pests infesting them :( But yeah, the parents of those plants died a looong time ago too, hehehe! Ive always liked plants that are propagated by cuttings... as a kid I thought it was like magic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, of course I remember your Valentine roses! I'm very happy to hear that most of them are doing so well:) I'm sure they look beautiful!
I prune my miniatures whenever they seem too big to me and then I plant all cuttings:)

Well, if I am successful with the rose cuttings I took at the house out front of garden #2, I may try to propagate my miniatures. They are a good size, but it might be a good idea to prune them back a bit for the winter. I wouldn't want to prune them too much or too early.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The most successful plant I have grown using cuttings is the Zigzag plant...

Another easy plant cutting to propagate is the Bougainvillea.

I've never heard of the zigzag plant, thanks for sharing the photo. It reminds me of gladiolas, I'll have to look and see if it grows here. I'm not quite ready to tackle bouganvillea. It's one of those plants that grows and grows and can take over, lol. I do want to try dyeing with the flowers at some point, so maybe next year I'll get a plant with purple flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah, I have done the same with kalanchoes, sadly same have already died due the pests infesting them :( But yeah, the parents of those plants died a looong time ago too, hehehe! Ive always liked plants that are propagated by cuttings... as a kid I thought it was like magic!

The butterfly and firebush cuttings I have had in water about 2 weeks have little white bumps toward the bottom of the stems! I was afraid they were going to wilt and wither away. So many new plants I can barely keep track of them, lol, but I am hoping to acquire white hydrangea and stephanotis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In that case - silly me for thinking that when you said that you were having trouble with Hardwood vs Softwood cuttings - you meant exactly that - as it is of course the reason why I had thought - that you might have found it helpful to know when the optimal time for taking those cuttings was - especially as taking the cuttings at the right time of year is generally the key to get them to root successfully :)

Now I just try to take extra and from different parts of the plants since some actually do better softer than harder. I have a bunch of stuff sitting in water now; roots are starting to appear so hopefully I will be able to experiment more before things harden up too much. i constantly root basil, but I'd like to have more flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

It's just been hit or miss- you know how you have to catch them at just the right time? Plus the weather change didn't help.

I just stuck some more rose cuttings, keep your fingers crossed. It looks like the lantana and at least one gardenia cutting have been successful :) I tried a few different techniques with the roses, including the potato trick. Can't wait to see if the potato actually sprouts and starts growing on its own, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am getting better at this! I just hope now that the cold will not kill my recently stuck cuttings. It's been so warm here, and now we are headed for 20s and 30s overnight. I had a similar issue at the end of the summer when all that lovely humidity that was keeping the cuttings lush suddenly disappeared.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I think with most plants when you grow new plants from cuttings is the moisture in the soil. When I water daily, they do very well and root stimulated formula can help with the hard to propagate plants.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I tried to grow new plants from cuttings but I failed on some then realized after doing a research that not all plants grow through this method. I should have read this years ago! But as they say, let's learn from our mistakes.

Ask a Question