Growing new plants from cuttings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Recently I have been getting into growing new plants from cuttings, or at least attempting to. The easiest thing so far has been basil, which is kind of funny because a year ago I wasn't successful at even that. I just happened to have a sprig of basil in water indoors I'd been using to cook with over a few days, and I happened to glance down and notice it had started to develop roots.

I now have a bunch of cuttings from a variety of plants I am trying to root. Some are in water, some are in soil; with some I used rooting hormone, with some I used cinnamon, and some are just on their own. I've learned that humidity is a huge factor in the success of a cutting. Some plant pieces shriveled up immediately and some seem to be thriving.

I created a makeshift nursery outdoors (they don't do all that well inside) by wrapping a rescued plastic shelf unit in plastic. Of course now I need more pots and soil, but what else is new?

What sorts of plants have you grown from cuttings? Did you use rooting hormone? Which have you started with just water?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bucket full of Willow cuttings ready to plant out as hedging on the field i'm buying. They've all grown roots (Willow is dead easy to propagate) Just need to complete on the purchase now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've started basil (unintentionally) in water. Rose cuttings do well in a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite with a plastic cover until the roots start to form (my "cover" is a bottomless 2 liter clear pop bottle and the cap removed or put back to control ventilation); sage is done the same was as roses; geraniums in potting soil without a cover; tomato plants by sticking a new growth 6" cutting in the soil; and rosemary by putting in potting mix without a cover, but keeping the soil well dampened. I've started lots of Texas native plants, but won't go into detail because most folks wouldn't be growing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've got a bucket full of Willow cuttings ready to plant out as hedging on the field i'm buying. They've all grown roots (Willow is dead easy to propagate) Just need to complete on the purchase now.

My mom bought a small willow earlier this year. I can't wait until it gets large enough for me to take cuttings since willow water can be used to root other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've started basil (unintentionally) in water. Rose cuttings do well in a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite with a plastic cover until the roots start to form (my "cover" is a bottomless 2 liter clear pop bottle and the cap removed or put back to control ventilation); sage is done the same was as roses; geraniums in potting soil without a cover; tomato plants by sticking a new growth 6" cutting in the soil; and rosemary by putting in potting mix without a cover, but keeping the soil well dampened. I've started lots of Texas native plants, but won't go into detail because most folks wouldn't be growing them.

I have some rose cuttings in potting soil blended with a commercial compost. So far so good, one in particular is looking great. I rooted a rose cutting in water once, planted it out too early and lost it. I took several cuttings this time so I am hoping some take, though I know many may not.

I put tomato cuttings in soil after the one I had in water didn't make it. So far so good on that one too. It's so hot and humid here that anything with a cover either mildews or instantly perishes so that is why I covered the shelving instead. The cuttings and seeds get a bit of air through a top vent and I have containers with water inside to help with the humidity.

I also have a few herb cuttings indoors in water. Some are doing okay, some probably won't make it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The only plants I've grown from cuttings are miniature roses. It's was very, very easy. All you need to do is to put a cutting in soil. I don't use any rooting hormones.
Unfortunately, I've never had any luck with propagating roses from a florist:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Well, I now have a basil cutting because the rats snapped my basil plant in half :/

Anyway, some of the other plants that I grow through cuttings are the ashitaba and oregano. They grow really fast especially if they are watered regularly and under the sun.

I will try planting rose cuttings soon. I haven't been lucky in this area ever since though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The only plants I've grown from cuttings are miniature roses. It's was very, very easy. All you need to do is to put a cutting in soil. I don't use any rooting hormones.
Unfortunately, I've never had any luck with propagating roses from a florist:(

Claudine, remember those miniature roses I received for Valentines Day that I separated when I repotted? The four out of the six that survived have grown so much, and almost all have rebloomed at least once. I have them all in 7 in terra cotta pots, but it's starting to look like I will have to move them up to larger pots soon. I'm so pleased!

If they grow larger, I may try to take a cutting from one. The largest one recently got chomped away by some mystery bug, but the leaves have started to come back.

Florist roses are generally chemically treated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I now have a basil cutting because the rats snapped my basil plant in half :/

Anyway, some of the other plants that I grow through cuttings are the ashitaba and oregano. They grow really fast especially if they are watered regularly and under the sun.

I will try planting rose cuttings soon. I haven't been lucky in this area ever since though.

I've never heard of ashitaba. I almost never use my oregano for cooking so I never need extra, but I may try propagating it just to see if I can. I rooted a rose cutting once and only once in water. It took about two months. I have a cutting from a new can with red tips that seems to be doing well in the makeshift nursery. I'm hoping it will make it, though I have no idea what variety of rose it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Thanks, I'll take a look. I have a few things saved to Pinterest, but more information means more chance of success! I can't wait to see what plants will make it, but now I think I need to start planning ahead and preparing for winter. Even with the greenhouse last year I still lost a few plants.

Reaction score
What sorts of plants have you grown from cuttings

As I've always propagated the majority of my plants this way or at least those that can't be multiplied by root division - then I would have to say that I grow and have grown an enormous range of plant varieties from cuttings.

I haven't however ever tried starting cuttings in water - as I've found that all mine root very successfully in potting soil and I rarely use rooting hormone either - as apart from the fact that many plants do actually contain their own natural rooting hormone and therefore don't need it - I've only ever found it to beneficial for the plant varieties that are particularly hard to root - as everything appears to do very well without it.

I would however just add that although its said that you can take cuttings at any time of year - I have found that more often than not - that only applies if you have a greenhouse or can replicate those conditions - as one of the most important factors influencing whether or not a cutting will root successfully - is to make sure that you do at the optimal time of year for the type of plant or cutting you are trying to root - especially as there are many plant varieties whose rooting ability various throughout the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would however just add that although its said that you can take cuttings at any time of year - I have found that more often than not - that only applies if you have a greenhouse or can replicate those conditions - as one of the most important factors influencing whether or not a cutting will root successfully - is to make sure that you do at the optimal time of year for the type of plant or cutting you are trying to root - especially as there are many plant varieties whose rooting ability various throughout the year.

This is something I am struggling with - hardwood vs soft, too much or too little humidity, soil moisture, etc., all are challenges for me. I find anything that roots in water is best for me because then I don't have to worry about maintaining moisture. Right now I have two herb cuttings in soil indoors - one is okay despite the soil tending to dry out when I am away for a day or so and the other is looking like it's dying.

I have some things in small bottles on the window sill which are doing better than those away from it. I read a woman's blog entry about starting herbs dipped in cinnamon in water on the windowsill. So far, most of those cuttings are still alive, though one sage in plain water (about 2 weeks old) still looks good. I am hoping to see roots from all very soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, remember those miniature roses I received for Valentines Day that I separated when I repotted? The four out of the six that survived have grown so much, and almost all have rebloomed at least once. I have them all in 7 in terra cotta pots, but it's starting to look like I will have to move them up to larger pots soon. I'm so pleased!

If they grow larger, I may try to take a cutting from one. The largest one recently got chomped away by some mystery bug, but the leaves have started to come back.

Florist roses are generally chemically treated.
Yes, of course I remember your Valentine roses! I'm very happy to hear that most of them are doing so well:) I'm sure they look beautiful!
I prune my miniatures whenever they seem too big to me and then I plant all cuttings:)

Reaction score
This is something I am struggling with - hardwood vs soft, too much or too little humidity, soil moisture, etc., all are challenges for me. I find anything that roots in water is best for me because then I don't have to worry about maintaining moisture. Right now I have two herb cuttings in soil indoors - one is okay despite the soil tending to dry out when I am away for a day or so and the other is looking like it's dying.

I have some things in small bottles on the window sill which are doing better than those away from it. I read a woman's blog entry about starting herbs dipped in cinnamon in water on the windowsill. So far, most of those cuttings are still alive, though one sage in plain water (about 2 weeks old) still looks good. I am hoping to see roots from all very soon.

Although I also love experimenting and always find propagating my plants this way great fun and very rewarding too -
as I previously mentioned the timing for some plants is crucial in order for them to root successfully - so if its any help the optimal time for

softwood cuttings - the greenwood just before the growth starts to mature - is late spring to early summer
semi-hardwood cuttings - the partially mature current seasons growth - from around mid to late summer through to autumn
hardwood cuttings - the mature growth from the previous year - late autumn winter time - when the plant is dormant

Oh nearly forgot - most cuttings take much better in a sheltered position outdoors rather than indoors - as its easier to maintain their required moisture and light levels in their natural environment.

Ask a Question