Grass seed?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is the best brand of grass seed in your opinion? Me and my husband are thinking of planting some new seed in the spring as our grass looked pretty rough before the snow rolled around we are are just looking for opinions on cheap good quality grass seed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have any advice but am wondering this myself so I will be interested to see the responses. We just spread grass seed some recently in some patches and I guess it might just be the cold but it doesn't look like it's going to grow. We ended up purchasing the cheapest bag of grass seed we could find at our local Home Depot and we are also thinking that come Spring, we should investigate a bit more in terms of brand and quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I have been planting Scott's grass seed for the past three years and it always die off before summer ended. It is expensive and I was very disappointed with it after three years of trying. So I checked out Lowe's garden center passed by the Scott's brand and scoured my options. I opted for Pennington but I bought just a 10 lb. bag to do some patching. I was pleasantly surprised because it didn't die off. So come Spring that's what I'll be buying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Scotts is a great brand, I bought some seeds from Value Home center that was there brand, It was the perennial rye grass and that stuff did fantastic. It was not as expensive as the Scott's. On the south side of my house the grass is constantly fighting the moss to grow. Even the perennial grasses do not want to come back up. I have tried a few types, would have like the Kentucky blue grass but that did the worst. Rye grass is fine if you keep it low otherwise it tends to bunch up. if you know what I mean, patches of dirt then a hump of grass. I see that you can do nice things with the moss, I just have never tried. I doubt the neighbors would like the moss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use Pennington tall fescue. It's a good all around grass that tolerates many adversities. If you are going to plant a seeded lawn, you must do it as early in the spring as possible. If you try later when the weather starts to warm, you will get a yard full of weeds, and very little grass. Heck, I've been known to run the spreader right before a late snowfall. You get a combination of poor mans fertilizer, and the wet snow helps to keep the seed in contact with the ground while it is germinating.
If you miss the springtime cutoff, then wait till the end of the summer to spread your seeds. This actually is the optimum time, but most people are impatient, and want to see it grow right before their very eyes. Here is a read out of Pennington tall fescue.

Planting Specifications

Daily Light Required: Full sun to med shade (4-8 hours sun)
Sun Tolerance: Very good
Shade Tolerance: Good
Grass Color: Dark green
Grass Texture: Moderately fine
Drought Tolerance: Very good
Disease Resistance: Excellent
Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Zones: West 2; upper 5,9; 6,7,8
Recommended Planting Dates: Early Spring & Early Fall
Planting Rates: New Lawns: 8 lbs/1,000 sq ft Overseeding: 4 lbs/1,000 sq ft
Planting Depth: No more than ¼”
Germination: 7-21 days
Mowing Height: 3"-4"

I notice the poster above (Mockingbird) said they planted Perennial Ryegrass. It's a cool weather grass, so keep that in mind if you live in one of those warmer climates.
Hope this helps answer some questions on planting grass. Oh yeah, a light watering twice (or more) a day for at least a month to a month and a half.

Ask a Question