Grass seed now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now, I on the east coast and temps are fluctuating between the high 40s and low 70s. I have two bare spots of lawn that were seeded earlier in the year, covered with straw, some grass grew but not much, straw has been removed and I am left with empty bare patches. Can I go ahead now and put down new grass seed or should I wait until spring? Also, should I spread straw over top of it again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Right now, I on the east coast and temps are fluctuating between the high 40s and low 70s. I have two bare spots of lawn that were seeded earlier in the year, covered with straw, some grass grew but not much, straw has been removed and I am left with empty bare patches. Can I go ahead now and put down new grass seed or should I wait until spring? Also, should I spread straw over top of it again?
WAIT. Grass seed needs warm weather to germinate and full sun. Do not cover up the seeds with anything. All you have to do is to make sure that the seeds have good soil contact and keep them moist If you want to do something in the meantime apply a thin layer of good compost

Reaction score
Grass seed doesn't need it to be that warm to germinate... in fact extreme heat inhibits growth and seed germination, and in cooler temps the soil stays moist longer. This time of year is ideal for seeding new lawn or patching up open areas. Spring is good, but fall is always better for seeding new lawns... basic lawn care here folks! :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grass seed doesn't need it to be that warm to germinate... in fact extreme heat inhibits growth and seed germination, and in cooler temps the soil stays moist longer. This time of year is ideal for seeding new lawn or patching up open areas. Spring is good, but fall is always better for seeding new lawns... basic lawn care here folks! :whistle:
That all depends on the type of grass

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks - I will go ahead and give it a try. I guess if it doesn't work now I will try again in the spring.

What about putting straw on top of the grass seed? Is that really needed or should there be nothing? I see this method used all the time in our area. Do I have to worry about squirrels and birds eating the grass seed?

Ask a Question